Car slips out of gear

Premmontecarlo5.3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 29, 2023
BRF and CZF 2004Rs both use D5 torque converters. BRFs I think used the biggest stock servos but have lower shift points to match 3.42 rear gears in the TRs. CZFs have higher shift points matched to the 3.73 rear gears in MCSSs.
I found someone that sells BRF cores for $500 canadian, is that worth it?

Reactions: 1 user

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Since the OP is running an '04 LM7...I'll pose the question, are you fuel injected and is there any means for the computer to run a computer trans i.e. 4L60E or 4L80E.

In my short stint of researching the possibility of rebuilding a 200-4R, I learned that there are some parts that will interchange with a 200C...interestingly the servo is larger than the ^^^BRF offering as mentioned.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Keep in mind that no matter how well the 700R4/2004R transmissions get rebuilt, their achiles heal is that TV(throttle valve) cable.... you can sink 5K into that transmission, and a misadjusted cable will wipe out all the clutches in a matter of moments. Personally, if you have the means, convert it over with a T56 manual tranmission and call it a day, more fun to drive IMO and shift when yoiu want to, within means of course. PITA in stop and go traffic though.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Keep in mind that no matter how well the 700R4/2004R transmissions get rebuilt, their achiles heal is that TV(throttle valve) cable.... you can sink 5K into that transmission, and a misadjusted cable will wipe out all the clutches in a matter of moments. Personally, if you have the means, convert it over with a T56 manual tranmission and call it a day, more fun to drive IMO and shift when yoiu want to, within means of course. PITA in stop and go traffic though.

Not just the cable adjustment but also the geometry of the tv cable. Many aftermarket cable brackets for aftermarket carbs can still have tv cable geometry that is poorer than the stock Qjet or throttle body setup. Since LS engines were never designed to operate with old TH2004Rs it probably would be better to use a more modern transmission that is designed to mate with an LS.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Speaking of geometry, get a load of this @#$!... i took pictures of the entire car right after i bought my '79 malibu before i did any changes, before and after records if you will.

Makes me wonder how the 700R4 survived before and after the last owner of the car had it, but its still going strong thankfully, i had bought a new GM original style TV cable, mounted and set everything with the correct brackets, the way it should have been in the first place.

Picture 1( before) / Picture 2(after)

Attachments

• oem bracket.JPG
    oem bracket.JPG
    520.5 KB · Views: 4
  • new brackets.jpg
    new brackets.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor