carb and dist swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
im wanting to swap out the carb and dist. on an 88 SS for non computer controlled things, i have heard a bit about the transmission problems it will give, but i dont know how to fix that, and it was unclear, also what kind of carb and dist. do i get? something for a earlier model chevy?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you need to get a kit to trigger the lockup torque converter (assuming you have one)
for a carb, assuming you have a 200-4r trans, you want a q-jet from the 80's so that the throttle valve cable geometry is the same. IIRC if the numbers start out with 1708 and have no electronic plugs (except for the choke) you're good. just remember that the carb may need new rods, jets, etc to match your engine.
for a dist, you can use a regular old GM HEI vacuum advance unit.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
first throw away the ccc carb and distributor,second get a good (or remmaned) chevy side fuel inlet rochester quadrajet which is non computer contolled.The type of distributor you'll need is an HEI unit from carbureted cars before 1980.From what I know about it (very little) tcc is just for your overdrive and unless your a lead foot already then it wont matter if its connected or not.Good Luck

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
ok good info, so has anyone done this swap that has part numbers?
can the distributor be from a 350, or does it need to be from a 305?
the carb will be a bit easier, anything from early 80s without computer controls?

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
im also interested in the transmission cable, i want it to operate like it did before, so what do i need to do to have full torque converter lockup and kick down etc.

thanks

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
anyone else have any ideas on what to do with the transmission cable? thats the only mystery for this swap and i need to clear it up before i start the swap
thanks

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
ok, again, if you have a 200-4r you need the proper carb geometry. the 200-4r has a throttle valve cable NOT a kickdown cable. it does much more than kickdown, it literally controls everything but lockup. if it's a th350, don't worry about it. that only uses a kickdown cable and is much more forgiving.
for lockup, look into bowtie overdrives. they sell a kit to control the lockup. it's cheap, simple and easy.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
ok yea we have the 200-4R ill look into it more
thanks for the info, sorry you had to repear it.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 155

79cuttycholo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 21, 2009
if u knw how to tune carns then get a holley 600cfm and get the transmission cable bracket it for it and any vacuum advance dist will work but if u completely want a qjet find 1 that isnt from a emission motor since these qjet are very lean outed but for the transmission get a stand alone controller for it

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Minion1186 said:
The type of distributor you'll need is an HEI unit from carbureted cars before 1980.

Maybe pre 1981? Because my 80 in non ccc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor