Carb float adjustment help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
This is the first time I have tried to rebuild a carb. I seem to be doin fine so far but, I am having problems understanding how to adjust the float. Here is what it says,

1) Hold float retainer firmly in place. (I understand that)
2)Push float down lightly against needle. Do not press needle into seat.(That makes no sense to me, how do I pushdown lightly against needle without pushing it into seat? Am I going to just push it down very little and holding it there? :? :? :? )
3)Measure from top of float to top of casting. Note: Measuring point is 3/16" back from toe of float.(I get the first part but, what the hell is 3/16" back from toe of float mean??)
4)To adjust, bend float arm.(That parts easy :lol:)

I am just tryin to learn how to do this right the first time and not mess anything up. Any help is really appreciated.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the toe is the end of the float..and the easiest way to set the level of the float is to turn the carb upside down and adjust it accordingly.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
the toe is the end of the float..and the easiest way to set the level of the float is to turn the carb upside down and adjust it accordingly.

So I am going to measure it with the needle in the seat.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yup.....that's what the float does...when it reaches the level that you adjusted to the gas flow to the bowl is stopped...if you have it adjusted too low the carb will run out of fuel and if it's too high fuel will dumped into the carb and making it the air/fuel mixture real rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor