Carb Quadrajet Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
First, is it a Canadian Olds or a U.S. Olds? 307 or 305 engine? Or 3.8 V6? It could make a difference. I'm going on based on a 307 Olds V8.

Are you also getting a code 12? Code 12 is considered "normal" when the car isn't running because it's not getting a distributor reference signal with the car not running, which is exactly what you'd expect. Code 12 with engine not running and key on is considered a verification step to ensure the ECM is communicating properly.

Now, start the engine and check for codes again. If you get a code 12 when the engine is running (ECM does not store a code 12) then you have an issue.

Code 41 is also a no distributor reference signal trouble code but for a different reason. Code 41 is stored regardless so it stays until you clear the codes, even if the problem goes away. I have never seen a code 41 in my life, so trying to hunt down the problem could be easy, or could be a nightmare.

There's a few things that it could be. First check your 4 pin connector coming out of the distributor which connects to the ECM. The connector should be back around the passenger side back corner of the intake. Just follow the leads from the distributor. You'll find it. Make sure the connector isn't broken or disconnected, or corroded. Check the wires too to make sure there's nothing broken/shorted. Make sure the VAC sensor (D/P sensor) on the passenger fenderwell is hooked up with its 2 wire connector to the ECM and the vacuum line to the intake. If the D/P sensor is messing up, you SHOULD also get a Code 34. But then again, if it's messing up, it just may not be moving and

The pickup coil AND/OR ignition module itself inside the distributor could be hosed. Pickup coil would mean a total disassembly of the distributor, so hopefully it isn't that. But you can at least check the wiring to the module to see if its connected and wires aren't broken. The module is a 7 pin connector on Olds. I THINK it's like a 4 pin on a Chevy, but can't recall. GM p/n 1976908 or equivalent aftermarket part is what you would need should yours be hosed, again, assuming a 307Y engine. If you do replace the module, ensure you use HEAT SINK grease for electronics on the metal base of the module. Without it, you'll likely toast the new module long before it should be.

View attachment 201851
View attachment 201852
View attachment 201853
View attachment 201854
View attachment 201855
View attachment 201856
I have a v6 3.8.. the car still turns on but it making a rough noise, like i dont have a catalyic converter.. its just rough.. i tried it again last night when figuring out this code, and it barely revs high and barely idles low when warm... but then in this, code 41 could be my distributor?

Last edited:

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
received_1115654949344987.jpeg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Troubleshooting charts are still applicable. You still seem to have a distributor no reference signal issue if you're getting code 41.

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
Troubleshooting charts are still applicable. You still seem to have a distributor no reference signal issue if you're getting code 41.
I'll go ahead and start there with the distributor... I'll disconnect the connectors and kind of check the wiring from there to the ECM and check it but it's just weird and random that it just happened... but the crazy part is a buddy of mine had advised me or made a comment that with the way my engine was acting a few weeks ago, it could be my distributor but I didn't take into consideration too much of that and kind of just let it go as it is now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor