Carb rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok so I bought a rebuild kit for my quadrajet today. This will be my first try at rebuilding a carb. But I haven't even started and I'm already confused lol.

Here are the numbers off the carb (1980 Malibu, 305):
1160 CWV

I took these into NAPA and got the right carb kit. But when I got home I found two sets of instructions with two different part numbers.

One set has this : 50-608
And the other : 50-505-3

Both sets are similar, but I don't know which ones to use. Can anybody help me out here?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Wow no replies? I'm amazed lol. Well I.m gonna pull the carbs off tonight and get started on it. I will keep checking back and posting updates, if I have any.

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
im not sure about the quadrejets, but the only advice i can offer is take your time taking everything apart and try and match all the old parts to the new ones. good luck bro

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well great! I managed to twist up and destroy the fuel line.... ON BOTH CARS!!! :evil:

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
q-jets r gravy you will find it so easy the part most people have a tough time with is the metering rods . you must ensure both primary rods ( go through the float plastic) A go in right and b are the same length and that the metering rod Y is straight . As for the secondary metering rods un do the hanger prior to dissasembly then upon re instalation just wiggle and take you're time if you have any questions please do not hesitate to pm me and I can help you.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Phoenyx said:
Ok so I bought a rebuild kit for my quadrajet today. This will be my first try at rebuilding a carb. But I haven't even started and I'm already confused lol.

Here are the numbers off the carb (1980 Malibu, 305):
1160 CWV

I took these into NAPA and got the right carb kit. But when I got home I found two sets of instructions with two different part numbers.

One set has this : 50-608
And the other : 50-505-3

Both sets are similar, but I don't know which ones to use. Can anybody help me out here?

The carb rebuild kit will probably be for multiple carbs. When I rebuilt mine I got 3 diff gasket sets. Just take your time and read the instructions ( as vague as they are ). When in doubt turn to the internet or go to Chapters and buy a book on Q-jets. They are not that hard to rebuild.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Well I got it all taken apart. And I have a question. I have two hangers for the secondary rods. A 'J' and a 'I'. Which one would be better?

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
run either one the difference between thyem is minor what makes the most difference is the metering rods

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Ok I have a new question. I'm in the process of putting it back together. But I'm confused about two holes on the inside. One is in the 'insert-aneroid cavity' is. There's a hole in the bottom ( the carb, not the black insert. my carb didn't have the insert) and I can't remember what and if anything was in there. The second one is right in front of the primary metering jet. I can't remember what or if anything was in there either.

My plan was to look off another carb I had beside it if anything like this happened. But my other carb doesn't even have these holes. So now I'm sitting here not knowing what to do. And I need my car fixed ASAP. It's the only car I have.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and what I should do?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
could you post pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor