Carbed 02 Truck 5.3 into 87 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Not much to report yet. I been extremly busy the last two weeks helping a friend of mine with his Mustang. Its currently sitting where the Monte is going to have transplant surgery in the (hopefully) near future.
I am happy to report that we did remove the oil pan in preperation to thin in down about 2 inches, and the inside looked pretty good. Still have my eyes open for an F body pan, but my buddy is ready to mod the truck pan whenever he gets back in town. I blasted the truck pan and its currently soaking to remove as much oil from the aluminium as possible. soon I plan to chop it and give it to him to "customize" for me seeing as I cant weld aluminium for $h!t.The spot weld on the pick up tube is about the extent of my current welding talents lol.

Projected total cost on the pan modification will be = $8.00.
Beer Depot part number is = 12 pack of Miller highlife

Stay tuned, there will be more to come.

Crzyrdnk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2015
Red Deer, Alberta Canada
Im Currently doin a lm7 Carbed swap as well... so ill be following right along with you as you go... good luck and keep the updates coming

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
***I do not want to start a debate about carbs vs fuel injection. So please, if you feel putting a carb on a LS motor is a bad idea, feel free to start a thread about it. I would like this thread to possibly be helpful for those who may want to do the same as I am getting ready to do.***
Thank you for your understanding in advance.

Finally found and purchased a motor for my swap. This wont be a fast swap by any means considering Ill only be working on this during the weekends. I will be posting some pictures and updates along the way.
But please do not consider this a build thread just yet. Im sure Ill have questions along the way.

I have researched and researched( and by researched I mean Googled) tons of swap threads and I want this one to be as clear as possible with as many part numbers as I can possibly provide for everything I put into the car.
This will be a drop in. I am not opening this motor up. I want to see if there is such a thing as a true "low budget swap". And by low budget I mean under $2000.00. I paid $550.00 for the running motor with everything except the starter. All acc, fuse block, computer, harness, airbox, all sensors, everything. I plan to sell the intake with fuel rails, ecm and harness and whatever else to help fund the swap.

My original plan was to swap and run the LS as is, but I have decided to go carburated instead. I like the idea of not messing with the driveshaft/transmission, not messing with the fuel system too much, and not having to mess with the harness and not needing to pay for the computer getting reprogerammed. This is going to be my slow, but hopefully sucessful first LS swap.

So far, the very loose plan is this- first order will be stripping off what I dont need and getting the motor in there. Im not going to spend too much timing dressing this motor up. 1 inch setbacks and trans adapter to keep and use my (soon to be built up) 2004r is the plan. Going a/c delete so no worries there. And we are going to try to modify the truck pan to save money so we will see how that goes.
Second will be fitment of exhaust and coil relocation. I may make some coil relocation brackets and move all of them. Not sure yet. Not sure about Xmember, manifolds or headers,,,more to come on those things.
Possibly adding an oil catch can but more on that later too.
Third will be all coolant concerns from which radiator and what temp t-stat, to what hoses and onto to steam vent placement.
Fourth will be fuel delivery and lines.
Fifth will be the carb set up and tv cable. And the programmer of course.
Sixth will be gauges. Not sure what Im going to do here yet, but I have a few ideas.
Seventh will be whatever we forgot or fudged up lol. I know there are a few other things but this is enough to fill my plate for now.

This is both my friends and my first LS motor any of us have ever touched. So if your still reading and any of this sounds interesting to you, follow along and we will all learn how to do this together. Hopefully nothing blows up and nobody gets hurt.
As an added bonus, there might be a chance of a turbo making its way under my hood if we can do this right.
Just curious what intake do u plan on running. I was look n at single plane edelbrock and the Holley because i wanna run a nitrous plate system wonder n if the eddy will hav clearance issue since it sits a lil taller

Crzyrdnk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2015
Red Deer, Alberta Canada
Actually my plans have changed, im gonna stick with fuel injection.. i found a wiring harness that will work perfectly for my ls swap for around 700 bucks , i plan on upgrading to 80lb injectors and upgrading my fuel rails, that haness will saves me alot of money when you factor in the cost of a new intake and blowthrough carb..

my plan was originally to get the single plane victor Jr , and a 750cfm CSU Blow Through Carb.
id stick with the single planes if your going nitrous or turbo.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
LS swap is now on hold. For those that dont know, I was in a car wreck a few weeks back( not driving and not the SS) and got my shoulder messed up pretty good. But Im ok.
Anyway, since then my transmission started slipping so had a friend pull it for me and its off for a stage 1 rebuild, shift kit, and new converter. My car has 130,000 miles on the stock drivetrain. While looking at the transmission-less monte in the garage, I figured what the hell and decided we should drop in the recently built(8,000 miles) warmed 355 we recently pulled from my buddies truck.
So I will start a thread on that but, THIS LS SWAP WILL HAPPEN!!! I just dont have the money to piece everything together for that swap with having to pay for the transmission rebuild at the same time. And I didnt want to have a non running car come spring so this is what I came up with. Plans now are that the LS swap will start in the early fall. I WILL have an LS powered G body one way or another.
Please feel free to keep this thread alive with any new found tips or tricks. I will update whenever I pick up some parts for the swap.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor