Carburetor / intake manifold Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin S.

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Good afternoon community,

i hope your all fine, your projects are finished to enjoy the season.

I have a small question, maybe anybody can help:
because I always have problems starting the engine when the vehicle has been standing longer for a while, as the vehicle does not start until the third or
fourth try and then turns it really high for about 5-8-10 minutes, a good friend advised me a few days ago to exchange the carburetor and intake manifold for Edelbrock.
The engine size is 305ci.
Does anyone have experience with the exchange on Edelbrock; which carburetor and which intake manifold should I take?

I would be very happy about good suggestions.

Many thanks in advance and best Regards
Martin

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Have your stock carb rebuilt. Sounds like your Well Plugs are leaking.

-Gonz

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
My wagon does the same thing. A buddy had this problem with his GTO. It could be the alcohol in the gas. It evaporates faster with less heat. Sets a while and the bowls are dry. Mine does this when it is hot. Not so much in the cold. Buddy put an electric pump on GTO and never has a problem. Odd thing is my daughters all factory 86 Monte does not do it?:unsure: And ALL the well plugs are epoxied. Search the web its out there. High rpm is probably the high idle

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Bowl probably runs dry. Either new ethanol gas evaporating, or like mentioned well plugs are probably weeping. No big deal. Common problem, easilly repairable. The fast idle cam is probably sticking causing the high idle. Spray some carb cleaner around the choke linkage area... This is a Quadrajet right?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Needs carb rebuilt...many of the things others have stated are the cause...dry fuel bowl, fast idle cam on choke sticking, etc.

To make start ups better, try a specific procedure, such as before turning over motor, tap on pedal to let choke butterfly close. Then begin cranking the motor for a few seconds to enable fuel pump to fill the carb bowl. Once fuel bowl has new fuel, pump the gas pedal a few times to prime the engine. By following these steps and modifying them to your situation, start ups will be quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor