Cardone 27-6550 woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegalX78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2020
I bought a 27-6550 gearbox thru Amazon warehouse, $100, damaged box. I was sure I was getting somebody's return because it's not quick ratio, but free returns so why not try? It came today & I just checked & it's the correct ~2.7 turns between stops. There are no signs of installation... it looks 'rebuilt' new. I can get $27 for my core, which I'll do unless I have to pay for shipping, then probably not worth it.

There are at least two more on Amazon Warehouse... if you have Prime, no harm in taking a chance on one.

View attachment 209260

Is the finish more of an undercoating?

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Is the finish more of an undercoating?
It's super thick and messy... it's not actually undercoating, definitely paint, but it's so thick that it kind of feels like undercoating. If that makes sense...

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
There are new Saginaw boxes if you have the mega bucks. You got a rebuilt from a giant component rebuild facility like Lares or the Mainland. I've had one for several years (SS) type with no problems whatsoever. The heavy coat of paint came off easily and I repainted it to get rid of the thick stuff.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm good with what I have, as long as it works. Heavy paint doesn't bother me... I kind of wish the 'cap' wasn't painted, like factory, because OCD but whatever.

RegalX78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2020
I ended up ordered a new Lares 11282 box, I'll post my thoughts once it shows up.

RegalX78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2020
The Lares box seems like a pretty nice piece

Attachments

• Steering box.jpg
    Steering box.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor