Casting number help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Ok i just got a new motor this weekend ran when pulled.I gave it a good cleaning.then i found the casting number on the passenger side of the block.i thought they were only on the drivers side.so i ran the casting number 14093638.it read 350 year
87-95 one piece rear seal. what gets me is that the motor has perimeter bolts.From my understanding 87 and up came with centerbolt heads.there is no sign that the heads have been removed no scratches or marks on the head bolts. .Im stuck a little help Gbody people.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Well I looked it up and it shows it being late 80's early 90's block...I was under the same impression you are in that it should have centerbolt heads on it. What are the casting numbers on the heads?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I googled the number and found 86-94. I can tell you for sure an 86 chevy will not have the center bolt valve covers. There might even be some 87's with perimeter bolt heads. 88 and later I would be positive they would be center bolt.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Thats what i thought.after 88 were only center bolt heads.If i get a chance i will pull the valve covers off today and check the casting number on the head.but like i said before the are no signs of the head being removed...will see

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
I pulled off the valve covers just now and they both read.462624 I looked them both up and it shows years from 75-86 350 or 400..like I said before it looks like the head bolts have not been tampered with? ?no big deal I just want to know what I got

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Ok its confirmed its a 86 block and 86 heads thanks for everyones help

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
I have a pair of those heads being worked over on my bench. 462624 You should have the typical 305 recess in the casting over the exhaust ports on the outside. However, they have 1.94 intakes, 1.5 exhaust. The chambers are canyons. These (mine) have hardened seats on the exhaust side. The intake "work" has a sharp edge ridge around the valve, chamber side. If you're going to pull them, grind, dremel tool, whatever, to smooth or radius the intake valve port and chamber edges also. It runs better on pump gas that way. Sharp edges in the combustion chamber cause dieseling. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor