Chores and allowance.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I was happy to be getting $5.35/hr...
I started installing above ground swimming pools for $1.25 an hr. I thought it was a huge deal to get a $.50 raise. But back then I could gas up the car, grab some beers, take the girlie out to eat, and still put money in the bank. Boy am I dating myself!

Reactions: 1 user

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
As one of the younger ones in this discussion, I can say that an allowance for nothing is not the answer. There are chores to be expected of you, and then there are opportunities to make money elsewhere. Its tough being a kid (under 16, even 18 in some fields) and trying to get a job. A lot of places don't want to risk it on a kid that young.
My parents didn't really pay me as a kid for doing things like household laundry, cleaning, even maintenance on the cars. However when I first got my license they did help me pay for my insurance. Mind you I had been working for years by age 16, had bought my own car (my cutlass) at 13 with cash I earned. Getting a kid into making money young allows them to learn the value of a dollar, and it is a worthwhile lesson, whether they are doing extra work around the house to earn a few bucks, or they decide to cut lawns, open a bike shop in the house, be a handy man (all things I did for cash), or whatever they choose.

Another perspective - charging your kids rent: I don't feel that it's right. If they are under 18 or in high school, no way. Once they are out of school, if they are still doing things around the house, it isn't right in my eyes to charge them rent. This is obviously different if they freeload, but if they are picking up their slack and doing something like going to college or working full time and being SOMEWHAT responsible with their money, give them the minimum of a roof over their heads. I say this as a 26 year old who at 25 finally moved out of my parents by purchasing a house in NJ, not a cheap area to buy in. Living at home allowed me to afford college, it allowed me to afford to save once I started working full time, and I was able to get out after a few years of saving.

If you feel your kid is being immature with their money, I would suggest charging them rent and saving it for them for when they finally realize they need to straighten out. You are the parent, you need to have those discussions with your kids, and you should want to help your child succeed. What better way then when your kid gets their act together you can help them with their own money?

Now, if your kid is just a freeloader: does nothing around the house, doesn't help, makes a mess with no regard for others, doesn't go to school OR work, yeah they may need a reality check. If you use that money to help offset the cost of them living there and doing nothing, it makes some sense and could be justified. It may also act as a motivator to get them working or doing something. Remember, rent should be proportionate, and not excessive. This is kinda their only option at the moment, don't make it unobtainable so they cannot do it. (Not saying anyone here has done that, but I have seen some horrible instances of parents charging a kid $500 a month while in college and working full time, as if college wasn't enough of a financial burden)

You are the parent, your kid is your product, do what you need to do to make your product viable. Obviously young adults can make decisions on their own, but the hope would be that you assisted them with learning the right choices to make from a young age.

/rant
I'll step off my soap box.

Reactions: 4 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
1968 at 14 worked 36 hours a week in a bakery for $1.00 an hour.1970 McDonalds $1.15

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Allowance and chores are two separate things. All kids should have chores to do around the house. Not tied to being paid. An "allowance" should be for things they've done besides those. Maybe you asked them to help you build the deck, or wax the boat. I don't know. Show them that work is required even without pay, but sometimes you get money for busting your *ss. My son had to take the trash out, vacuum his room, and mow the lawn. Every week, without pay.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Never had any kids. Thank goodness. Otherwise, the wife would have spoiled them, we'd have fought about it, and maybe would be divorced over it. Not that I wouldn't want my imaginary kids to succeed, but IMO, kids need to understand having a sense of purpose and follow their dreams as best they can to make a difference in their lives as well as others'. Prepare for everything so you'll be ready to do anything.

I'm more like my dad, a disciplinarian. Not a prison warden about things, but if you want basics, you have to "earn" it by doing basic chores around the house. Firm, but fair and consistent. All lessons would revolve around "nothing is free or handed to you, and if you want it, you gotta go get it." As Streetbu mentioned, there would be certain chores that you do on the "must do" list every week. Mundane and simple, but teaches discipline and work scheduling. The optional chores would be for making money, like washing the truck, or sweeping the driveway, etc. I know the wife would just want to dote on the kid and basically allow just about anything. If I helped you, your rate just got cut in half. More effort got more $$. Results matter, intentions don't.

With kids, you have to be prepared to teach them how to survive life in general. The wife would obviously be in charge of teaching compassion. :) I tend to lack that expertise. I'm a firm believer of individual responsibility- count on yourself, accept help and offer help, but don't ever get dependent on others. You do it, you own it. Don't point fingers for your own misgivings.

And try not to be a d*ck- until it's time to be a d*ck.
source.gif

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor