cleaning and painting vinyl roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

Unfortunately, my '85 GP has the vinyl roof. It isn't torn or ripped, and it really isn't even sun-faded. The problem then you ask? It's green. That's just gay. lol. Grantid, the car has this whole green on green on green on green (lol) thing going, but I don't particularly like it. I'm doing the body black eventually (primer black for now) and I want to do a flat black sorta color on the Landau top to match.

I know that you have to clean and prep the top thuroughly before painting it. When I first got it, I used a ton of Orange-Clean spray and Leather/Vinyl cleaner on it. Would doing that really well again suffice? Also, do you just spray the paint on the top as-is? I'm gonna use the Dupli-Color paint specifically for vinyl. I wouldn't figure you'd sand anything down. lol.

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb, but I'm trying to do this on friday and want to be ready. There's a big show on saturday...

8)

When I used to spray tops I used vinyl top paint sold ready to spray at autobody supply stores. I washed the vinyl with lacquer thinner and a lint - free cloth. Mask off the roof first then wash it with the thinner. Try to remove any lint caused from the rag and solvent softened vinyl. Spray while the vinyl is still soft to get good adhesion. Avoid sanding any areas because that will show later as a difference in appearence, either as an area missing grain or maybe even a shiny spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor