Cleaning up my wiring harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Well I'm in the process of painting my engine bay.Since everything is all out I'm thinking of trimming my wiring harness.when i had the car running it looked like a rats nest.So many wires and connecters that weren't being used. So its a 86 Monte ss with a 350.i have a auto meter gauge set so im not using factory gauges.I'm running a/c and a 200r4 and that's about it.I'm sure there's a thread on here about this,but i can't seem to find it.HELP PLEASE. .THANK YOU

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
RO86SS said:
Well I'm in the process of painting my engine bay.Since everything is all out I'm thinking of trimming my wiring harness.when i had the car running it looked like a rats nest.So many wires and connecters that weren't being used. So its a 86 Monte ss with a 350.i have a auto meter gauge set so im not using factory gauges.I'm running a/c and a 200r4 and that's about it.I'm sure there's a thread on here about this,but i can't seem to find it.HELP PLEASE. .THANK YOU

What system are you running, computer control carb (ccc), throttle body injection (tbi), or tuned port injection (tpi)? If your running the CCC system you can swap the carb/distributor out for a non computer controled one, that'll get rid of the whole harness but you'll lose your torque converter lockup. In that case all you have to do is run a switch for it and you'll have to manually lockup your converter. The same thing can be done with a tbi system, just swap the throttle body for a carb.

EDIT: I didnt look at yer signature at first lol but I seen that your running a holley carb. In that case I wouldnt think youd need the harness. Are you still running the factory distributor or did you swap that out too?

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Without looking at your car, I can't say for sure, but I will say that it would probably be best to avoid just snipping wires. It can turn into what might look like a hack job and could potentially lead to problems with shorts. On my '83 Cutlass, I didn't need any of the wires from the computer harness, so I fished them all together, snipped the whole bundle near the firewall on the engine side, and then pulled the whole thing out from inside the car and plugged the grommet. You might need some of these wires if you're running AC or CC, I don't know for sure. The ideal if you're not going to remove an entire harness would be to open it up and trace each wire down to determine if you're going to need it, and then remove it as neatly as possible, preferably from it's source connector. As for the oil and temp sensor wires, it's up to you, but I would leave them in case you decide to run them someday. These are almost unnoticeable compared to the CCC mess, and having an unused connector or two sitting on the intake isn't that unusual, even from the factory.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
originally the car was ccc.I messed up in the first phase by taking it to a half *ss shade tree mechanic to install my first 350.he cut wires and left some loose and burned on the manifolds.I learned my lesson got a refund and now doing this build my self.but thanks every body this is the input i was looking for.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Editl.i need to update that.now in running a edelbroke 600 electric choke and edlbrock 2101 intake.Also i am running the stock distributor.ill post a pic of my set up here in a few.this build here is gonna be my 3rd motor in my Monte .1st one was done by that shade tree mechanic,second was done by me but that motor went out,now I'm on to my next motor just a stovk internal 350 with some bolt ons

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
RO86SS said:
Editl.i need to update that.now in running a edelbroke 600 electric choke and edlbrock 2101 intake.Also i am running the stock distributor.ill post a pic of my set up here in a few.this build here is gonna be my 3rd motor in my Monte .1st one was done by that shade tree mechanic,second was done by me but that motor went out,now I'm on to my next motor just a stovk internal 350 with some bolt ons

Well if that's the case then you shouldn't even need the harness, unless the "stock" distributor your referring to is a computer controlled HEI unit. If it's an older distributor with an external coil you have no need for the harness. I dunno if I'm right about everything lol so others chime in on this.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
That's right, except again, if you're running CC or AC, you may need some of the wires from the computer harness. For me, I wanted that harness and the computer gone. Eventually maybe I'll look into if and how I can run the CC without the computer. If I can't, then the CC is gone too. But for the purpose of running the motor with a non-CCC HEI distributor, that's correct, you don't need anything from the computer harness.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
here's my set up.no cruise control,no ccc,plain James 350

Attachments

• normal_080910_124256.jpg
    normal_080910_124256.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 716
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor