EL CAMINO Code 53, where to start to narrow down issue?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I tried late last night to find ohms value of the solenoid. Maybe someone has that, I was unable to locate. 87 and 88 I can't find the part you need, but try this.

Splice out the bad unit you have and splice in the 1989 unit. System should be similar...

Parts for the change is below.

Parts I pulled are from Auto Zone, Rock Auto and others have the same

Screenshot_20230603-015106.png

Screenshot_20230603-014918.png

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
The vacuum feed to the EGR is ported vacuum. The reason for this by using ported vacuum the EGR should only be working under cruise conditions and not at Idle. Injecting exhaust gas at startup and idle will make the engine run like crap.

With the change to computer control... The computer can read the O2 sensor and turn the EGR on or off based off of the O2 value present in the exhaust stream, i.e., NOx/SOx formation, as well as un-burned fuel.

Although this a bit of an extrapolation... If the solenoid is bad, resistance goes up, and maybe this is causing the higher voltage spike that the ECM is reading. So if you give the ECM something it can control maybe the issue will go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I talked with NAPA, they mentioned to take your suspected bad one to your local NAPA and they should be able to cross reference, through the Echlin line. I guess it's a fairly massive book, like the others they had no reference to the 87 year.

schwim

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2022
Coastal VA, US
I talked with NAPA, they mentioned to take your suspected bad one to your local NAPA and they should be able to cross reference, through the Echlin line. I guess it's a fairly massive book, like the others they had no reference to the 87 year.
That's fantastic info, thanks so much, I'll take mine to them and see what they say.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor