Column Shift Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
When I shift through my gears its too soft. Its like you barely have to touch the lever to change gears. The problem is that it seems to not be engaging in the gear as indicated on the dash. I have looked under the car while somebody goes through the gears and the lever on the transmission is moving as it is supposed to. I have also adjusted going from the column to the bracket.

If I drop it all the way down to L1 I can feel it engage in gear. I move it all the way up to reverse through the gears and its like its not engaging them. As you know it wont let you shift into reverse because the lockout switch or whatever. I press the brake to get into reverse and I feel it engage into reverse. I have engaged gears with the vehicle running. I just shifted through the gears with just the key turned.

jbracing

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2010
my grand prix will let you go through the gears without pressing the brake but i never had a problem with it not engaging in any of them

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
unless your transmission has a manual valvve body or an aftermarket shift kit you wont feel the other gears when your cycling through them parked. you will only feel it engage in reverse and once when you put it on a foward gear (D,1,2,3) Alot of people think the number you put it on is the gear your in but its really you choosing how many gears you want the transmission to shift thru. Ex. If you drop it into 2 the transmission will start at 1st gear then shift to second as your accelerating and thats the highest gear it will go to. if you put it in 3 it will shift up to 3 and thats the highest it will go to.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
kingcolbert83 said:
When I shift through my gears its too soft. Its like you barely have to touch the lever to change gears. The problem is that it seems to not be engaging in the gear as indicated on the dash. I have looked under the car while somebody goes through the gears and the lever on the transmission is moving as it is supposed to. I have also adjusted going from the column to the bracket.

If I drop it all the way down to L1 I can feel it engage in gear. I move it all the way up to reverse through the gears and its like its not engaging them. As you know it wont let you shift into reverse because the lockout switch or whatever. I press the brake to get into reverse and I feel it engage into reverse. I have engaged gears with the vehicle running. I just shifted through the gears with just the key turned.
As the trans and linkage age, the bushings get worn and the linkage gets loose which would explain why the dash doesnt mesh with the gear your in. The bushings can be replaced, and the indicator linkage may be worn or stretched and could be fixed and that may tighten things up. but as long as the shifter stays where its supposed to and the trans works properly, I would leave it alone.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
bill said:
kingcolbert83 said:

As the trans and linkage age, the bushings get worn and the linkage gets loose which would explain why the dash doesnt mesh with the gear your in. The bushings can be replaced, and the indicator linkage may be worn or stretched and could be fixed and that may tighten things up. but as long as the shifter stays where its supposed to and the trans works properly, I would leave it alone.

I will have to make a video of what Im talking about. I know what your saying but its still not engaging the gears. I understand they can be misaligned and trans still shifts into proper gear but its not even doing that.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Are you saying that the shifter itself doesn't feel like its clicking into each individual selection :?:

If that is the case, you need a shifter linkage bushing :idea: I believe the part number is BK# 620-2003 :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor