Column to Floor shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Im trying to find the right way to do this. I aquirred a b&m mega shifter. I have a th350 and new cable/ micr switches and bracket to hook it up. Im getting mixed signals on how to hook it up because im being told i just install new bracket and cable and existing lights and neutral safety work the same, some say tap wires on consol to micro switch and tap into reverse lights to micrco switch. Seems alittle iffy to me but....i need to know the correct way to do this.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have headers on my Regal but I was able to modify the column linkage to clear the 3" collector and by doing so I retained the factory reverse lights and neutral safety when I installed my Megashifter.
If you don't keep the column shifter linkage functional you would have to run micro switches which is what I did when I installed one in my Monte since on that car I have a 4-1/2" collector in the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
I have headers on my Regal but I was able to modify the column linkage to clear the 3" collector and by doing so I retained the factory reverse lights and neutral safety when I installed my Megashifter.
If you don't keep the column shifter linkage functional you would have to run micro switches which is what I did when I installed one in my Monte since on that car I have a 4-1/2" collector in the way.
Ok cool. Yeah i have headers on mine to but im gonna scope the situation out in morning. So if column linkage clears exhaust im in good shape?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Ok cool. Yeah I have headers on mine to but I'm going to scope the situation out in morning. So if column linkage clears exhaust I'm in good shape?
On mine I had to swing the shifter pivot mount bracket up higher and cut and weld the arm to have the right geometry to function properly, been in there a few years now and everything works as it should.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
On mine I had to swing the shifter pivot mount bracket up higher and cut and weld the arm to have the right geometry to function properly, been in there a few years now and everything works as it should.
Ok. Ill keep ya posted. I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
When I put my B&M Quicksilver shifter in, I unpinned the reverse lights and neutral safety switch wires off the switch at the bottom of the column and moved those wires to the micro switches supplied with the shifter. I also removed all my linkage since it was binding on the headers. I didn't want to modify the linkage since I'm using the cable from the shifter anyway. I also removed the column shift lever.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
One other thing I liked about making the factory linkage work in my Regal is that my shift indicator in my dash works with the floor shifter.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
When I put my B&M Quicksilver shifter in, I unpinned the reverse lights and neutral safety switch wires off the switch at the bottom of the column and moved those wires to the micro switches supplied with the shifter. I also removed all my linkage since it was binding on the headers. I didn't want to modify the linkage since I'm using the cable from the shifter anyway. I also removed the column shift lever.
Cool. Once it get nicer out im gonna try it. I got shifter mounted to floor and saw trans leaking alittle so im gonna put new gasket and filter in her. I was also thinking of adding a temp gauge. Is there a particular place to put it and whats involved in installing a temp gauge?

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Cool. Once it get nicer out im gonna try it. I got shifter mounted to floor and saw trans leaking alittle so im gonna put new gasket and filter in her. I was also thinking of adding a temp gauge. Is there a particular place to put it and whats involved in installing a temp gauge?
I haven't done any research on Trans temp location yet. I'll need to do that soon as I am putting in a new Trans soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor