converting from a 4.1 to a chevy 350 engine in 84 Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Oh, and I meant the 350 buick shares the same motor and frame mounts as the 3.8/4.1 (the other way around rather, the 350 came first).

bobby frillou

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 4, 2017
Also when going from a V6 to a V8 you will need to upgrade the cooling system and might need stronger front springs to hold the extra weight depending on the ride height after the swap.
I could use a radiator and springs that came equipped on v8 305 version regale couldn't I ?

bobby frillou

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 4, 2017
D
Has anyone converted engines from a 4.1 to a v8(chevy 305 or 350). What all is needed to make this happen. I do have a turbo 350 transmission in it already. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Does sending unit or fuel lines need replacing to accomadate v8 or can it stay the same? Sorry with all the questions just trying to figure out what path I need to take

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I could use a radiator and springs that came equipped on v8 305 version regale couldn't I ?
Yes you can, and to make your life easier at the auto parts stores just tell them you have a 84' Monte Carlo.with a 305.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yep, all the bits and bobs from a V8 g body will work. You will need either a V8 fan shroud, or a radiator top plate and/or electric fans. The v6 shroud is too deep for a V8.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you are keeping the computer, you will need the harness and ecm from the V8 donor car.

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
just curious,since he has the 4.1 how much would it generally cost to do a turbo package as opposed to throwing in a new engine as well as all the accoutrements?first thought logic says probably more but ive never really thought the numbers through.i do know that that 4.1 block is pretty sought after though

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
just curious,since he has the 4.1 how much would it generally cost to do a turbo package as opposed to throwing in a new engine as well as all the accoutrements?first thought logic says probably more but ive never really thought the numbers through.i do know that that 4.1 block is pretty sought after though

Your guess is probably right, unless he is building a high dollar 350. For all the time I have wasted on the turbobuick website, I have never seen or tried to figure out the cost involved.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
There are a few different 4.1 engines, some desireable for turbo-ing, others not so much. If he has the desirable block, I suggest carbed turbo setup til she splodes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor