Corvette LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
Hey so Im thinking about getting a 2002 corvette ls1 for $1,400 long block is that a good deal? also I know it has 350hp, 360tq and with that saying would my stock rear end handle it? here's some info on my car its an 81 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais with 260v8 or had now I have a crap 79 350v8 with a 350 turbo-hydamatic trans.

Attachments

• 00707_1QtFuwmwPjm_600x450.jpg
    00707_1QtFuwmwPjm_600x450.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 812

maven

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2013
Around my area $1,400 for what you posted a picture of is an excellent deal if it ran before removal....

unlikely your rear will hold up to much abuse from an LS1 for a length of time. I know its the weak link n my 5.3 build

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
maven said:
Around my area $1,400 for what you posted a picture of is an excellent deal if it ran before removal....

unlikely your rear will hold up to much abuse from an LS1 for a length of time. I know its the weak link n my 5.3 build

yea it ran before being removed and well since I don't know about deals on ls1s I had to ask. so my rear would have to eventually be swaped out what would you recommend, would that ls1 bolt up to my trans

maven

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2013
LS1 bolts right up to the TH350, youll need to modify the flywheel to torque converter bolt holes as the patterns are slightly different and youll need the 6.0L flywheel spacer and bolts, or one of the many available aftermarket options to mate an LS1 to a TH350.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Look for an 8.5 rear from a g body only. What all do you get for $1400? That's a hell of a deal around here for a running LS1. Looks like it's been sitting for awhile by the looks of the dust. Hopefully the exhaust and intake ports were covered.

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
maven said:
LS1 bolts right up to the TH350, youll need to modify the flywheel to torque converter bolt holes as the patterns are slightly different and youll need the 6.0L flywheel spacer and bolts, or one of the many available aftermarket options to mate an LS1 to a TH350.

thanx ill do some reseach on this and hopefully work something out. what would an 8.5 rear end come out of? yea the engine has been sitting for a couple months but I was planning on rebuilding it anyways. I haven't stuck a deal yet with the owner but he said he would hold on to it for me while I do some research locating parts and what itll cost me but he said hell go for 1g for it since im young and into cars which is awesome and he would help me install it since he knows how it went. this guy owns a 95 supra, a benz e500

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
well I made up my mind and im not gona buy it I think im leaning towards an older engine to keep a pretty stock appearance maybe rebuild my dead 260 or drop in a 307 since an ls1 to me in a bagged cutty lowrider doesn't look right since im building it like they were doing it in the 80s but with alittle more modern look with led lights everywhere

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
If you're going to rebuild an Olds motor, why the 260 turd? Why not use the Olds 350 you have in it now? Its a good engine.[/quote]
well the 260 because it was great on gas and well I had a turbo strapped to it which then ended up blowing when I got a little greedy with more power. the 350 I have in my opinion is ok but sucks on gas and hp is very shitty for a 350ci engine.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
81KiddCutty said:
If you're going to rebuild an Olds motor, why the 260 turd? Why not use the Olds 350 you have in it now? Its a good engine.
well the 260 because it was great on gas and well I had a turbo strapped to it which then ended up blowing when I got a little greedy with more power. the 350 I have in my opinion is ok but sucks on gas and hp is very shitty for a 350ci engine.[/quote]

Then rebuild it to better specs. Up the CR, improve the quench. I am sure they sell better flowing aftermarket Olds heads, it it's a CCC car restore the CCC or at least a non CCC Qjet and it should be able to get at least 20 highway MPGs. A OD trans will help with MPGs alot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor