corvette wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
has anyone tried c5/c6 wheels? they're the only style that i like but they have deep backspacing. i don't mind using spacers but would like to have some idea what it's going to take to make them fit.
thanks in advance

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would see what tire sizes they have stock and compare them to known widths and diameters that fit on a G body. Then, you can shop for a quality set of spacers to make them fit. With the significant difference in backspacing you likely have, I would suggest the spacers that bolt to the wheel studs and then have their own studs that come out of the spacers that the wheel actually bolts to. This way, you do not have to use too long a stud and you will cut down on the loads imparted to them. These were first made popular in the 80's by people who wished to use C-4 wheels on older GM cars, so they should still be available. It is the strongest way to do a spacer, and given the handling loads most people place on the wheels when doing this sort of upgrade, it is a good preventative measure against a catastrophic failure of such an important part.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i know all of that. i'm looking for an idea of spacing. how far can i push the rim in, fender clearance at a given depth, etc. if i set it up so the inner lip is at the same depth as stock i would need 3in spacers up front. that's a little large!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, but if you put them inboard too much the car will not look right. You probably do need a 3 in spacer to make it look right. If you don't want to do it this way, or put in a rear axle that is wider and then spacer the front wheels out, you should probably consider a different option. Placing the wheel inboard of stock will likely cause it to have interference with the frame or suspension when it is turned or hits a bump. There is another option for the front suspension, but I don't think you'll like it: Custom fab front control arms to place the suspension out enough to compensate. At any rate, the further from centered you put the wheel bearings in relation to the wheels, the more stress you place on them due to uneven loading. So, even with the 3 in spacer it may cause you to eat wheel bearings. I believe you wish to drive this car and not just make it a show queen, so it may be advisable to consider another option.

I will also add this from my own experience. I use a 16x8 in wheel with 4 in backspacing and a 245 50 16 front tire. It rubs a little on the top of the fender and also hits the plastic wheel when turned full lock. I had to trim the metal inner fender and I also rolled the lip of the outer fender for a few inches, then tugged it out by hand another 1/8-1/4 of an inch. I blended it all together with Bondo and you can't tell it was done. I still need to trim the stainless steel wheel house trim piece for the outside to match the lip, and figure out how to install it tight to the fender where the mounts are removed. This was my only way to stop the rubbing on the outside. For the inner rub, I have a F body steering box and will be installing the G body pitman arm on it soon. The thicker stops will keep it from hitting, but will also have the negative effect of making the turning circle larger. I don't like things that rub, rattle or scrape, so I tend to go to extremes to prevent it. You may already know some or all of this, but I post it here to help anyone else who happens to read this thread.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
man i can barley fit 225 tires in there. I got two sizes smaller for the front and ran the 225 in the back. C5 rims won't work on the G body with out some work. 3" of back spacing is HUGE! 7/16 is big. you need big wheel studs and they might break. also you would have a heck of a time turning.

Not worth the effort. notch the rear frame rail and get some after market rims. Also get a new rear end b/c you get any traction that 7.5 is toast!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'm trying to use aftermarket rims but i can't find any i like.
as 85cutlass wrote i'll be using adapters that bolt to the hub and then have lugs installed in them. quite a few people have used 2in spacers with no problems. from my reading at the pro-touring site i should be ok as long as the wheel centerline is centered on the bearing. from looking at my brothers 78 camaro with c5 wheels i should be close especially since i am going to use the AFX c5 spindles. ideally i can push the wheels in a little. i am going to have one of my brothers 8.5 housings set up for the g-body but i will probably have it a little bit wider to cut down the spacers.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
well it figures, this thread was staring me in the face the whole time.
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21879
luckily it looks like with the AFX spindles and a 2in spacer it'll work well.
the rear will probably need a large spacer but thats not a problem.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Just a thought, but how about a B body axle for the rear? I don't know the exact width increase, but maybe it will be right on. Then you can weld on the outer brackets from the G body to mount the control arms and shocks and be all set. The bolt circle is different, but it should not be too big a deal to have the axles and rotors re-drilled to the 5x4.75 BC of the G car. Maybe GM used the same rotors with the smaller pattern in a different chassis like they did with the B car rotors on the 1LE F bodies and you can get ready-made rotors from the parts store.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the rear i'm not worried about since it doesn't steer. :lol: i may see how much room is back there tomorrow, but my adapters just shrunk to 1.75in up front! :D that centers the wheels and gives me room. it wouldn't work with stock spindle but i'm junking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor