Could You Retire On One Million Dollars $$ ? Can you even make 1 million?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Vacation time is coming up. We have to go to a relative's wedding coming up in a while. So I had to make lodging arrangements, yaddah yaddah. Then I started to think about the bride and groom, and the money gift we're giving them (you never get a gift wrong if you give them $$). Along with noting the increasing cost of lodging and everything else, I was just musing about them still having to work for many more years, and they just bought a home together before the mortgage rates got way up there, etc. I'm hoping they're also saving toward their future.

That got me to wondering. Can people reach a million dollars or more toward retirement nowadays? A few somewhat conservative assumptions and calculations say that it is, indeed, possible. And possibly easier than one may think. Assumptions are necessary because nobody knows what's coming down the road in 5 years or 20 years, let alone 30 or more. Death and taxes are the only thing that we know for sure is coming.

Let's assume you're 35 and planning on retiring at 65. Right now, you think you're doing everything right with the wife who worked until the kids were born, big boy toys, etc., and putting money away for retirement and college for the kids.

We'll also assume you have a current 401k balance of $13,169.00, which is data provided by some stupid financial group that says 30-35 year-olds have that as a median amount. But I'm lazy and not going to do a research paper on it. It's an assumption. Deal with it.

After all the bills and everything is taken care of, you find out you can put in $250 per month into your 401k. Unfortunately, the assumption is you work for a sh*tty company that doesn't match a percentage of your contributions, but at least you have an assumed pension plan. Via the calculator for your pension, you will make, say, $1,500 per month pension at age 65 when you retire. Probably more, but just bear with me.

We'll also assume you're stuck exactly where you are as far as being able to only put in $250 per month for the next 30 years until you retire.

Where do we land?

SSA says the average couple on SS makes $2,753.00 per month in benefits. Assuming you live until age 95, that's 30 years of payments after retirement.

With the SSA benefits and pension alone, you'll be raking in 2,753 + 1,500 = $4,253/month. For 30 years (360 months), you'll have been paid $1,531,080.00

Now, what about that sorry-azz 401k you were putting a paltry amount in every month?

$250 x 360 (30 years until you retire) is an input to your 401k of $90,000.00. (If your company would match up to a certain percentage, it very likely would be double that, for comparison)

But you were putting it in your 401k, and investing in rather safe securities, so EVEN IF you made, say even a paltry 2% per month on average (money markets make over twice that right now) over the 30 years, you would end up with nearly $44K in returns, netting you with about $147,165.00 in your 401k when you retire. Keep in mind, you'll only have 8 years to do whatever with it until mean ol' Mr. Required Minimum Distributions when you reach 73 (soon to be current law).

So your total retirement value, if you retire at 65 and croak at 95, will be $1,678,245.00. And this is assuming your wife does not work, and your super-low-risk, low-input savings plan pretty much sucks.

If you estimate you'll die in 30 years, you figure on getting distributions right away. So, $147,165.00 should net you $408.79 per month for those 30 years. Since you're already getting $4,253 + $408.79 = $4,661.79 per month at 65, or $55,941.48 annually. (BTW, in this case, RMD wouldn't be terrible, since it would only be an average distribution requirement of $445.95 per month without extra penalties.)

Everyone's situation is different, but the key is, getting to a million dollars accumulated wealth over the years isn't super-difficult, especially when you have 30 years or more to get ready for it. Of course, by the time your 65, the $1 today may be worth only about 12 cents in tomorrow's dollars. So you may NEED 3 million. Who knows? If you haven't started saving for it, do it now.

To summarize- you'll end up with about 1.6 million by the time you're done croaking at 95 in the provided example. And it won't even be that hard to do, really. The assumptions above were made with severe headwinds against you saving for retirement and a poor return over time.

Some tips-
Save early, save often. The younger you are when you start saving, the better off you'll be. One of the biggest drawbacks I've found is that for years we got into stuffing the mattress full of money, and now when it's time to relax and enjoy some of those fruits of our labor, we don't have much of a clue on how to do it without feeling like we'd be wasting it. Old habits are hard to break. We don't look at what we can buy with money. We're usually looking at where we can invest it.

If you can, every time you get a raise, bonus, whatever, put HALF of it into your Roth or 401k. Say if you get a $2/hour raise. Bump up your savings amount going to your investments by that percentage to put an extra $1 per hour in there. You'd be surprised on how little that hurts your wallet but how well over time it helps your 401k.

Resist the urge to "borrow" money from your 401k before it's time. Remember the reasons you started saving in the first place. Obviously, if you fall on hard times, you gotta do what you gotta do, but you should consider the 401k off-limits until you retire. If not 59.5, you'll get penalized for early distributions. One good thing is if you're at least 55 when you retire from your job, your 401k distributions don't get penalized.

Find out if your company provides any sort of 401k or retirement savings plan match. If you don't have a company retirement pension plan at work, they usually fund more in your 401k to make up for that. Use every chance to maximize the "free money" that the company will contribute to your savings plan.

Do what you can to pay off your house, cars, any big credit card balances, and other big ticket items BEFORE you retire. You'll find that you can live pretty comfortable off not as much as you think when you don't have a bunch of bills. Remember, you're still about 30 years away in the example. So your favorite G-body, extra car parts, tools, etc., will likely already be in your garage by then. So that's much less $$ you need to buy that junk since you already should have it.

If eligible for SSA and assuming it's still there in 2053, check the website periodically, at least once a year, to ensure they have your latest income displayed correctly and track it as you go. It's incumbent upon you to ensure that stuff is correct. Use the estimator for benefits when you decide what age to take it. It's been proven VERY accurate figuring up what your monthly check will be provided all your income has been recorded properly.

Unless you're already on your death bed, make a plan for the future. You may die tomorrow, you may die in 2083, or somewhere in-between. Make the plan and work toward it.

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I am 29 and have no expectation that social security will exist when I'm 67 and even less faith that 1 million will get me more than a few years.

Better shoot for 2.5mil with the inflation we're seeing if you are under 35.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I am 29 and have no expectation that social security will exist when I'm 67 and even less faith that 1 million will get me more than a few years.

Better shoot for 2.5mil with the inflation we're seeing if you are under 35.
That's a good outlook. They've been talking SS insolvency for 30 years now. So I planned the same thing. Figured I had to cover my own social security. But if it's still there, I'm getting what I can. It's the only legal ponzi scheme I know.

Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Lol the whole stock market is a legal Ponzi Scheme.

I say I can retire on 1 Mil right now because of my life style, and how much debt I have. That and knowing where to invest some of it and live off the interest.. :)

If you're under 40 I'd be looking into a ROTH IRA or if your company has a ROTH 401k option, I have not and will not put into any 401k, they are not very secure. I've had a ROTH IRA for years making max contributions.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
No 'Fund' is a good investment anymore now that the managers and advisors can consider 'social and environmental goal/benefits' in how they invest YOUR money.

No longer is the only fiduciary duty they are supposed to consider how to, in their best judgment, maximize the returns to you.

Now they can even choose to LOSE you money if it helps advance their social agenda.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
One thing most people don't seem to catch is paying down principle to avoid interest on any loans you have. I make triple principle payments on my house and have been pretty much since day 1. Again, lifestyle, not everyone can do that I get it. Home mortgage is compounded monthly so if you can't see what you are losing in interest on your payment every month, the end of the year interest statment will tell you. If you have other investments that are gaining, compare them to the daily loss of what you are losing on loans and see if you're in the green or red, and make adjustments from there. Not all investments are a gain overall here.

For example you get a CD at 4% that compounds monthly, and have a home mortgage at 3.5%, you better have a close amount in that CD to the mortgage principle to break even on your personal gain/loss. Interest is horrible so the faster you knock down the principle the faster it goes away.

EDIT: Any gains unless in ROTH accounts are TAXED, so there's another loss to factor in on what you think you might be "winning" at. Your investment will have to account for the taxes hit on it. Paying down principle is your smartest move.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No 'Fund' is a good investment anymore now that the managers and advisors can consider 'social and environmental goal/benefits' in how they invest YOUR money.

No longer is the only fiduciary duty they are supposed to consider how to, in their best judgment, maximize the returns to you.

Now they can even choose to LOSE you money if it helps advance their social agenda.
Unfortunately, ESG has already been haunting the entire system for several years now. A great many companies want to show the world how woke they are, and they've even got a "scoring" system on some manufactured ESG rating scale. You will NOT escape this phenomenon if you invest in nearly anything. But just because a company is on or off the list doesn't mean a company is or isn't ESG supporters. It's just an external scoring system for the companies. And they're not even standardized, that's how fugged up that idea is. You have to do the research. But say,

Not everything in ESG land actually means much. S&P Global's May 2022 ESG listings removed Tesla and moved Exxon into the top 10. Apparently, not everyone believes Big Oil is a big problem.

The best advice I can come up with, if you absolutely do not want someone else with a different agenda managing your portfolio, is to convert some or all of your current 401k(s) to an IRA and invest in your own choices. I rolled my 401k accounts into two separate IRAs. Now, I can move it pretty much at will. I keep any cash reserves in an FDIC-insured sweep account (which technically is made up of several actual bank accounts I cannot control) and THAT's making me several hundred dollars per month at the moment by itself based on the current ~4.5% annualized rates.

But you are correct, as you cannot be entirely sure when you do things like ETF's and money markets, someone in the group is probably an idiot and bought into the bs of an idealogy that is different than it should be. My GREEN agenda for finance is different than some of those other guys. My only concern is growing MY green. That said, if an ESG group is making me money, I wouldn't be offended by that. SOME of the environmental and "save the planet" ventures aren't necessarily all bad, though. The over-arching policy is idiotic and anti-investor, however.

Although, you do probably want to avoid Vanguard and Blackrock investments if you don't like the new policy. They're not on your side. I'm seriously considering parking my money on the sidelines right now because most signals are pointing to a recession within 6 months anyway. I just can't see any way around it. I might take the "sell in May and go away" until November approach and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
$1 million today is not what it was even a few years ago. The side question is, is $1 million enough to retire on? Do you (or will you) own your home? That's going to make a huge difference as housing costs have gone through the roof in a lot of areas. If you own your home, you don't have to worry about rental costs OR, you have a valuable asset that you can liquidate to pay for future housing.

I will say this; for all Gen Zs short comings I do not envy them in the least. The thought of starting a career in the current economic climate with increasing inflation, stagnating wages and knowing that something like home ownership is getting further and further out of reach would scare the crap out of me.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I guess I'm the only one who thinks outside the box from all the above posts here. Then again must be the advice I've gotten over the years and what I've seen.

You take the 1 mil, buy 3 houses and rent them. Three solid incomes right there. Constant incomes, people need a place to live. That's what I refer to when I say I know where to invest it and live off the interest. ;)
Another reason why physical real estate is way more valuable than the inflated stock market ponzi scheme ever will be.

After I pay my current house off, I'm going to buy a second and rent one of the two. I'm applying my concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor