Countywide transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Has anyone heard of or used http://www.countywidetransmissions.com/pages/2/

They sell their 200-4R for about $950. Just looking for anyone who used them or knows their experience with them. I spoke to the guy and sounds knowledgeable. I am aware of ck, Dave husek and Lonnie diers.

Thanks,

Joe

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Joe, Is he the guy from Jersey that works out of his garage? Spoke to him a couple of years back, and CK also but I went with a local racer up here in Middletown NY...Academy Transmissions. Had a sprague replaced in a new transmission with 300 miles on it. Cheaper than sending it back to CA.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Joe, Is he the guy from Jersey that works out of his garage? Spoke to him a couple of years back, and CK also but I went with a local racer up here in Middletown NY...Academy Transmissions. Had a sprague replaced in a new transmission with 300 miles on it. Cheaper than sending it back to CA.

He has a shop near fort dix military base in new jersey

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Yes, That's him. He's moving up, business must be good. I choose the one I used because of distance. and a lot of referrals from guys in my area. All I have read about him is good but no personal experience here.

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Someone from another board recommended him to me when I needed some work done. IIRC, they had a good experience with him. Contrary to that, Level 10 transmission has a long line of disappointment customers. They are located in North Jersey

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
I bought my 200-4r from him in the fall. Unfortunately I wont have it installed for another 2 weeks or so. So I dont know yet how well his rebuild is.

What I can tell you is he works out of a small workshop from his house. When I went there he did have about 4 or 5 BRF code 2004r rebuilt and ready to go. He also had a few Monte 'CZF' code 2004r's and atleast one 442 'OZ' code transmission. He charges $895, but this is only for the BRF code trannies. The others are 100 bucks less at $795. He requires a core or he will tack on an additional $195 core charge. He accepts a 700 r4 (v-8 version) core return in place of a 2004r if you dont have one.

In my case I was able to find a 700 r4 for $50 (with an excellent 27 spline lock up converter that I will use on my 301 till I upgrade to a pontiac 400). I chose the CZF code to save the extra 100 bucks. He was very helpful offering tips, and told me to call him up once I get it installed and that I can call him during the installation if I had any questions. Overall nice guy who is helpful.

Keep in mind his rebuilds are what many transmission guys call a 'stage 1' level rebuild. Basically the readily available upgrades any transmission shop or individual has access to. Dont expect to run nitrous or a race engine and think it will hold up. I told him it was eventually going to end up behind a Pontiac 400 or 455 with the kind of power levels offered in 1968-70 cars. He assured me it would be no problem as long as I dont run nitrous. If you are planning on an engine with under 400 hp and under 500 ft/pds of torque and no nitrous you should be ok. Remember how the 89 Pontiac TA Turbo actual power rating was like 300 net hp with close to 400 lb of torque and the 200 4r stood up to that.

After speaking to the guy a few times and taking my budget into consideration I went with Countywide. The only negative feedback I came across for countywide was a comment on turbobuicks. A poster mentioned to rebuild the 200 4r right and spend the money as he saw how many countywide transmissions a friend had to go through. This didnt bother me as the poster was refering to 500+hp GN'S at the track. If your looking at taking the car to the track and powerbreaking it and racing the crap out of a highly modified engine then definately spend the money with Husek or CK and get the custom made (billet) parts and their expertise for your application. For my application a "stage 1" is sufficient, once I get it installed i'll do a follow up.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Hey buzz, I'm in the same boat as you. I spoke to him and he seemed straight forward and I liked that he didn't hesitate on questions I asked. I don't have a super powerful engine. It will mainly be a cruiser with a little show off every now and then.

I also checked out what you mean about the build and seemed on par with the level 1 trans setup most build which is perfect for my needs.

I will post feedback as well on this transmission.

I did see that comment to on tb. It is not enough to deter me. I will be using him in the next month.

Thanks For the feedback guys.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Curious how this turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor