Crager SS Wheels Cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
I got a set of Crager SS wheels from an older Cutlass Supreme. The two rear ones are a bit rusty, so what would be the best way to clean them up.

The fronts are need a lot of polish to bring them back.

bananaMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2006
Tacoma, Washington
if you use steel whool and brake cleaner/degreaser they should come out nice. make sure you coat them after their clean so the rust doesn't come back. i prefer to use a wax but some use clearcoat in can.

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
Decided to remove the rust (a lot of it) and paint them for the time being, since I don't like chrome anymore. Going to Wheel Clearcoat to make the paint last longer until I might be able to afford to properly redo the wheels. Leaving the center caps original after cleaning them up.

The rust from a distance looked golden in the 'yard and found on ebay a golden set of rims that looked gold, which made my mind up.

Paid $50 for all four wheels.... Now need to hunt down a few good 15" tires.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I got a steal on my Cragars too. They look great on the car. Except mine are 14's. :( Mine luckily weren't too bad. But if you need a good product, I used this on my wheels and my chrome trim. It's called Nevr-Dull. It's a wadding compound in a silver tin at parts stores. It's like cotton. It works wonders. Then just polish it up and you're good to go!

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
It works good on my polished aluminum wheels on my Cobalt SS too! It's good on alot of different things.

I'm not sure how old mine are. Is there any way to tell? I got them from a shop in Ohio (about 45 minutes away) with Hoosier white letter tires and American Racing caps on them. haha. So I got some Cragar ones from eBay for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor