Crane cam 1.72 Roller lifters.

Gbrick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2021
Sup y'all.

Okay, so I have these 1.72 roller tip lifters from Crane Cams I got from some swap meet in Hamilton Ontario.

I want to install them, but truth be told I don't know much about this or if it will be to much for my application.

I have a 350 SBC claimed to be bored 30 over, with vortec heads with a decent sounding relatively lumpy cam.
(Would describe as a "mild cam".)

The springs I'm pretty sure are honey comb style.

I want to put these on.....

1. I don't know how to do it, but want to learn.
2. I want to know what problems I'm looking at or if even possible to install.
3. If the install / upgrade is possible, what else do I need to adjust or do to make it work optimally. Fuel pressure/ carb adjustments so on and so forth.

Thanks for any help/ advice. This forum has always been great and very knowledgeable people. Please excuse any lack of knowledge in advance on my part.

Thank you kindly.
received_1182124089593766.jpeg
20240918_112628.jpg
20240918_112632.jpg
received_7408723879240441.jpeg
20240918_112650.jpg

They will work on a Big Block Chevy not a small block Chevy.

Magnum Roller 1.72 Ratio Rocker Arm Set BBC, Ford 429-460, 351C/M w/ 7/16" Stud

So to big for my application?

Very helpful thanks again 👍🏼
What size should I shoot for? Also I was hearing about staggered set up where people will do one size bigger for the exhaust once a smaller for the inlet or is it the other way around I can't remember.

if i recall correctly(been wrong before),using a ratio larger than a 1.5 on vortec heads requires work to the pushrod slot.that larger lift puts the pushrod into the head by default.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Using big block rockers on a small block is nothing new.

Melloelky is correct the heads need to be drilled out like the high performance heads of the first muscle car era. Drilling out will require guide plates to be installed to replace the pushrod alignment function the slot in the head was doing. Guide plates will require screw in studs and any milling to make them fit. Might as well use 7/16 big block studs while you are there.

Second is the rockers will scrape the valve covers, install covers, remove distributor hot wire and crank a few turns, remove the covers and you can see where you need to clearance the valve covers. Grind the aluminum ones and use a jewelers hammer to clearance the sheet steel ones.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
JMO buy the correct roller rockers for your Vortec heads, which I believe are self aligning and they will bolt right on without re-engineering your heads.
Also I would buy a full roller rocker versus just having a roller tip since that will help keep friction to a minimum.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor