Crankshaft HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if he loosened the rockers up and he could move the crank freely again, wouldn't the cause be of him hitting a valve or two? The timing chain wasn't on so I don't see how it couldn't have hit a valve. Hopefully you didn't damage any of them

considering that the 305 is not an interference engine and that there's a huge gap between the piston and rings, no i doubt that he hit the valves.
maybe there's something binding in the valvetrain, or maybe something did get into the cylinders.
even VW's rarely smack valves and they are interference motors.

But if the problem went away when he backed off the rocker stud nuts, then he's essentially releiving pressure on the springs therefore letting the valves come up. Assuming it's a hydraulic flat tappet valve train of course. I'm not trying to start a huge arguement because I'm sure that you've got more knowledge in this field than I, I'm just confused why it couldn't be him hitting a valve. Non-interference engines I'm assuming are ones where even with the piston at TDC and the intake/exhaust valve opened, there is still space between the piston and valve? What would be there to bind seeing as it's a non interference engine and cause it to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor