curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Bad4558

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
I was just wondering who all on the forum is a machinist. I've been in the field for a lil over 3 years and it seems like I got into a dying trade. Just like to know what everyone else thinks about it.

IronCastKnight

Apprentice
Sep 8, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm also a machinist, though the button-pushing-monkey CNC operator type. It doesn't really seem like our field is dying, at least from what I can see of Tulsa and its multitude of machine shops, but the workforce does seem to be getting steadily older with damn few new young people.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im trying to get into the automotive machining field but most shops around here are a 3 or 4 man operation and keep it that way. I took engine machining classes at the university of northwestern ohio but didnt get an opportunity to run the CNC machine so that doesnt help :(

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I took some cnc classes and autocad as well. Its all about automation now. Hands on manual machining is slowly becoming a lost art, much like black smithing. However, what can be done with a computerized lathe and milling machine, can also be done with manual milling/lathing equipment, but at a slower pace. I have an old lathe in my basement that I have yet to use. It was my grandpa's and I doubt he ever used it either. Much of the problem with manual equipment is learning how to set it up and run it. But I plan to turn some candle stick holders to test the lathe out and to learn the set ups. These machines are becoming harder to find as they get removed and replaced with automated equipment. If you are really interested in becoming a craftsman/machinist, you should try to get one before they are all gone. Most of the ones Ive seen are not really that expensive but are often very heavy and large. My lathe is a bench top model, and is probably 60yrs old.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
If you are young, go back to school and run as fast as you can from being a mechanic. The pay goes down each year and the repairs get harder. A student at one of these trade schools, graduate with 30,000 Bill. Then they find a job,(dont forget you are competing with the illegals and foreigners who will work for less) usually starting as a lube technician. 9-15 bucks an hour. Now factor in buying tools, feeding yourself, housing, beer/smokes etc. car insurance and now Obummercare. :blam: There is no way you can survive..so if you are young tech - RUN find a good career, become an engineer if you love cars.

If you are older 35+ you are trapped in this career field, the best thing you can do is go to all the schooling you can. The autonomous driving car is coming, fuel cells, plug-ins and currently the hybrids, Oh yeah you are going to get the same pay for working on a much more complicated car. Flat-Rate 2 tenths for replacing an engine now...The cars they are designing now need less and less maintenance, 100K miles before a major service. Most people dump their car before then..

thedoctorisin

Greasemonkey
Nov 25, 2009
East Bay Area, S.F. Ca.
I agree with anakputa 100%, I got in with a dealer changing oil (no official schooling, just took my cutlass in and showed it off) but a couple guys started after me and have schooling and all that but we started at the same point except he still has 25,000+ in dept. Now all the older guys at work are just telling us to run fast and get a new job while we can cuz the field is dying! I work next to guys that have been doing the job for 25 years and we all do the same job and are all held to the same expectations. And the boss doesn't care, he's just a powerless puppet for the corporate a-holes that come through every few months getn hard ons to fire someone.

1Bad4558

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
I took cnc lathe and mill but that isn't what I love to do. Yeah the possibility is endless with a cnc but any man or woman can run one and call themselves machinist cause they push the start button. I love the manuel machines there slower by all means but you can build the world outta them of you know what your doing. I'm the youngest person to work at the shop I'm in by atleast 20 years and the older men tell me to leave and find a job in a different career.

IronCastKnight

Apprentice
Sep 8, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was also trained on manual machines, and I like working on those a hell of a lot more than I do running CNC, but pretty much my entire shop is CNC with a tiny section of old guys running a few odd jobs, one offs, and extra tricky bullshit work. I'd much prefer to be on their end, but, despite it killing my soul, being on the CNC side pays the bills.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
i am also a machinist. Run a 78 inch vertical lathe. Best advice i can give to younger guys, is think twice about this career. Unless you like being under a bunch of stress, long hours and unreasonable deadlines from the management. If you can deal with all that it is a rewarding job. Like others have said ive noticed a decline in interest of the younger kids who actually like to work around my area. Right now is a good time to be a machinist/welder with all the natural gas jobs around.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Consider learning a CAD software package like Solidworks or Pro-Engineer. People who can design something using solid models, create drawings, or better - program 3-D raid prototypes - will have a future in more than just the automotive field. You can often buy a student version for a few hundred dollars (vice several thousand for a basic seat of Solidworks) and run through all the tutorials right at home. Most students learning these software packages have no idea how to actually make something (inside square corner, anyone?)

Hope this may be useful information.

ssn696

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor