Cutlass '81-'88 leather interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfpeters

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2011
Curious if anyone has general info on factory leather (vinyl) seats for the Cutlass '81-'88 model years. I've seen only a handful at car shows, trade ads, etc. Most have been in the early model years. Saw red leather once in an '84 H/O...really sharp. Is there an RPO code?....option cost? Would the leather be considered rare in today's hobby market? Any info/discussions would be great. Thanks.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I think WJ7 is (and was) GMs rpo code for leather if my memory serves me correctly.

Come to think about, I havent seen many G bodies with factory leather either.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I have seen some earlier years GNs with the Lear Siegler interior package. But I think the seats design themselves are a little different too, not just the covers. Or maybe its the same seats with different padding and covers, now Im not sure lol.
These are highly sought after in the Turbo Buick crowd for sure.

mfpeters

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2011
image.jpg
This is an '82 or '83 Brougham

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
here is my 87 cutlass Brougham.....

20140427_173725_zpsv3r2r2vz.jpg

torn up leather interior..

20140427_173821_zpsr7vmzdus.jpg

got a quote to get it redone for $1600.00 bucks!! in all leather....

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Several years ago, I picked up the front and rear seats from an '84 Buick GN that had the Lear Seigler seat option. The car was badly rusted, and the owner was parting it out. The front bucket seats had adjustable side bolsters on both the seatbacks and seat bottoms, and the seat bottoms had an adjustable knee bolster. The upholstery was a combination of gray leather on the outer part of the seats with silver cloth inserts in the middle of the seats. The front seatbacks had the Buick "6" logo stitched into them. The rear seat is much more contoured than a standard G body rear seat, with 2 contoured seat areas in it. I was going to use both the front & rear Lear seats in my Monte, but the front seats weren't comfortable for someone that's my height (6' 2"). The seat bottoms aren't long enough for my legs, and if I tried to adjust the knee bolster, it just started cutting off the circulation in my upper legs. I sold the front seats to a local turbo Buick owner. I kept the rear seat, had it re-upholstered, and installed it in my Monte. It looks much nicer than the original seat.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Vinyl option was a shitty one, they faded badly and tore up really easy.
Vinyl was only offered in claret 85-87 and it was the brougham bench option only.
83-84 maple was only offered in Calais buckets and Brougham bench
81-82 was Light Sandstone, Brougham bench only
78-80 there were a few options with oyster, camel and black in buckets, mainly the Calais/Hurst/442 models.
I believe Sage was also offered but not 100% on that one...

mfpeters

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 1, 2011
Thanks....helpful info. Wonder if vinyl option was listed in sales brochures or something the customer/salesperson knew was available and special ordered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor