Cutlass Chrome Steering Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I need help finding a new steering column for my 83 Cutlass. I want a direct-fit, bolt-in, tilt, chrome steering column w/ignition switch. I got a floor shifter, so I don't need a column-shift column. Can anybody tell me any part #s, Flaming River, ididit, Billet Specialties, etc?

hp3445

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Southern New Jersey
It would probably be wise to just call them and tell them what you need. They would know.. You can convert your column shift over for a lot cheaper. like around $70. Or look for a decent factory one on ebay... I just picked up one for $80. I just have to sand and repaint it. I was going to go the same route as you're looking at, but I decided to try and save the $400 for something else.
Remember then you are going to want to buy a new steering wheel, you don't want to stick an old wheel on a new column..kinda taking away from the whole thing. . but that can also cost big $$.. but it is nice to look at! Decisions..Descisions.. Good Luck!

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Which one of the columns has the correct spline shaft for my 83 Cutlass? Also, which length is correct?

Floor Shift "Classic Bell" Columns
From Flaming River Industries

prd_zm_394.jpg

Flaming River now offers an integrated key column. The key is located at the 3 o’clock position just like you would expect from Flaming River. No welded on attachments or extra relays. Modeled after the popular Muscle Car Columns with Tilt and Ignition Key built into the column but still attractive enough to put in your street rod.

Flaming River manufactures the column complete with a GM coded key assembly, wiring and ignition switch. Flaming River uses state-of-the art, All New Components.

Columns also available in 28", 30", 32" and 35" lengths.

33" Polished/Chromed Floor Shift Key Column with 1"DD shaft / ea
#FR30001SS
Only $749.00

33" Polished/Chromed Floor Shift Key Column with 1"-48 spline shaft / ea
#FR30002SS
Only $799.00

33" Polished/Chromed Floor Shift Key Column with 3/4"-36 spline shaft / ea
#FR30003SS
Only $799.00

Attachments

• IMG_20130606_124754.jpg
    IMG_20130606_124754.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_20130606_125648.jpg
    IMG_20130606_125648.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 439

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
My stock steering column measures 33" from the face where the steering wheel mounts to the tip of the shaft at the other end. Not sure what spline it is.

The only problem I see with those columns is how do you mount it? On the stock column you have a u-shaped piece of metal that bolts onto the steering column and then bolts into the car itself. I don't see a provision for that.

How does it bolt to the firewall? These are all questions you need to ask them before spending that kind of money!

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
FE3X CLONE said:
My stock steering column measures 33" from the face where the steering wheel mounts to the tip of the shaft at the other end. Not sure what spline it is.

The only problem I see with those columns is how do you mount it? On the stock column you have a u-shaped piece of metal that bolts onto the steering column and then bolts into the car itself. I don't see a provision for that.

How does it bolt to the firewall? These are all questions you need to ask them before spending that kind of money!

Thanks for that info. I'll be sure to ask them about it before ordering.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
There's no wiper switch on that column either, meaning you'd have to retrofit your car some how, more than likely putting the switch back on the dash like the '81 and older cars. Not worth it if you ask me.

78PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2009
Queens,Ny
Ehh this will have to many people eyeballing it and along with the unwanted attraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor