Cutlass Rear End....

Status
Not open for further replies.

realjwann

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2007
I was looking into getting some gears and maybe a posi unit for my cutlass, currently has the GU1 axle w/ 2.41 gears.....

my question is, is this axle worth the trouble to put money into, replacing gears and adding an lsd would run about 600 bux, maybe less....

Would i be better served to start with a Monte SS rear, i found one with code GT4, w/ 3.73 but no posi, could just add an lsd for 400 maybe less on ebay!!

Any suggestions, bigger bang for the low end buck would be my target range..... :lol:

You can find a LSD for $50 if you are willing to go to the junkyard. Depending on the price, it is easier and cheaper to buy one that is already set up with the right gear than to buy all the parts to change the ratio.

Well the axle from the SS, the guy is asking for 100 bux, not bad.....not great either....

And from what cars could i get an lsd to fit the monte ss rear, i really dont get the difference in carrier's, let alone what a carrier is.....but ill start my search for Monte SS lsd's....

Im also working on a swap from a underpowered 305 to an older Chevy 350....is there anyway i can find out what car this engine came out of? Cast no. 3970010...

well your best bet for a rea axle with posi, is to look harder for another monte ss one. i've seen those axles with posi and 3.73 gears complete drum to drum for $150. i would not put money into that axle as far as another posi or different gears due to the lack of strength versus the common replacment 8.5 axle. hell i got a complete 8.5" rear end drum to drum with drive shaft with posi and 3.42 gears for $600.

as for the motor that number comes up as a 69-80 2 or 4 bolt main 350 sbc. the number will not tell what car its from. only the number on the block near the passangers side head, where the head meets the block and water pump will have more of that info.

With traction you will crunch up a 7.5 with 400 wheel horse power in short order.

well ive seen 7.5 rears blow up with alot less than 400 wheel horse power. even that tv show muscle car blew theirs up with a small motor that only put 350 flywheel horsepower. to me putting any real kind of power to a 7.5 rear end is like putting an expiration date on the axle, one day it will blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor