Status
Not open for further replies.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Intragration said:
Blake442 said:
Just get stock 307/F41 springs when you're ready to replace them...

On a side note, I used 307 frame and motor mounts and it fit like a glove.

Yep, that's what I was saying elsewhere, that the 455 fits like it was meant to be there. I wonder about the differences between the motor mounts, I used 307 G-body frame mounts and the motor mounts were for a '70 98, and it fits just right. On the springs, I am concerned that the F41s are going to raise it too much. Is that what you have on yours? I was thinking about going with the 5658s, those might sit closer to where it is now. I've done a little research on it already, I'm sure I'll pull up more pictures before I actually buy anything.

I have a set of stock F41 springs off my old '85 Salon and also a brand new pair(NIB) for sale in my Hard Luck Sale Thread.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Intragration said:
Blake442 said:
Just get stock 307/F41 springs when you're ready to replace them...
On the springs, I am concerned that the F41s are going to raise it too much. Is that what you have on yours? I was thinking about going with the 5658s, those might sit closer to where it is now. I've done a little research on it already, I'm sure I'll pull up more pictures before I actually buy anything.

Yes, my 442 has the original 307/F41 springs.
Click the link in my sig... Lots of pics of how it sits.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Thanks, glad you liked it. I had a crap-storm of personal stuff going on early this year, which prevented me from doing anything much on the car. Thankfully, it was already 100% functional, so I at least got to drive and enjoy it all year. I was finally able to pick up the axle in September, which was a lot of fun to install after the time off. I've been meaning to post an update, thank you for reminding me. More to come...

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I really respect anyone riding Cutlass in Chicago - its not easy! Just some friendly advice make sure to have registration/ current insurance card/lawyer's card/ AAA if you have it always on you. You will be seeing cops at some point and they like to try and fix the car auction out there you know how it goes so just be prepared properly! Nice ride & good planning - what is that Oak Park in the background? Looks more like Northbrook than it does Chicago

SilvrPegasus47

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2012
Weatherford, Texas
Glad everything is starting to go good for you again. As soon as I can get my '84 H/O paid off (6 months), I'm going to tear into it and fix it up real nice, and maybe just a bit faster than stock. :twisted: Nothing quite as non stock as a big block though. I'm also going the sleeper-ish route, but I want to keep the original block & trans in it, just a little bit stronger than stock. I'm also eyeing a '76 or '77 442, owned by the same guy that I'm buying my H/O from. If he still has the 442 when I pay the '84 off, then I'm gonna go for the 442 also. If I get it, that one won't be stock when finished.

JayPat83

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Intragration said:
I resolved this by modifying the stock crossmember. I could have purchased one of the aftermarket ones, but having just purchased a car, a motor, and G-body BBO headers, I decided to go the budget route this time. I marked the factory crossmember, cut out a healthy chunk of metal, and fabbed up some sheet metal to wall in the notch and some c-channel stock to reinforce the top. With the help of my friend Kevin's welder and a crash course in MIG welding, I had the whole thing done in a couple hours. I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's got plenty of clearance, it seems plenty strong, and it turned out better than I expected.

I just want to say thank you for this idea. I will be copying it on my build!!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor