Cutlass Touchy Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magolds84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2021
Hey KGB, have you gotten any further on your brake issue? I've had the Cutlass parked in the garage mostly since we wrote. But I had it out today just to blow the cobwebs out and I found that it's actually the rears locking up, just like yours. I'm looking to tear into it soon, but figured I'd reach out to see if you remedied yours yet? I know the rear shoes are in decent shape and not over adjusted.
Thanks.

KGB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2016
Sorry about not getting back to you Magolds, been a crazy few months. I haven't done anything to it since I last wrote. I've changed jobs, and I'm trying to get a windshield so I can stop some serious leaks. I've also had a strange battery/electrical problem recently. Sometimes the battery is just dead. Taking the terminals off for about five minutes, then putting them back on fixes it. For whatever reason. Hopefully you have some luck with whatever you try. Whenever I finally get around to it, I will definitely post an update.

Magolds84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2021
Sorry about not getting back to you Magolds, been a crazy few months. I haven't done anything to it since I last wrote. I've changed jobs, and I'm trying to get a windshield so I can stop some serious leaks. I've also had a strange battery/electrical problem recently. Sometimes the battery is just dead. Taking the terminals off for about five minutes, then putting them back on fixes it. For whatever reason. Hopefully you have some luck with whatever you try. Whenever I finally get around to it, I will definitely post an update.
All good, no worries! That's weird with the battery dying. So is the battery draining each time, or is it more of a short in a wire somewhere? I haven't had much time looking into the brakes since I was getting the a/c squared away. Installed a new compressor and drier on and it cools nice now. But I have another issue on my hands. Seems that after I drive it about 20 minutes on the highway and come to a stop with the a/c on, the temp light with come on. It stays on until I turn the heat on, then it goes out and stays out. Haven't seen anything as far as coolant boiling or any coolant loss. All hoses are extremely hot though. Seems like fan clutch is working because there is resistance there when the engine is hot. Slight play in the bearing there, but no noise. Radiator looks original with some scaling on the tanks, but fins and coolant look ok from what I can see. Any suggestions?

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Hello all,

I have an 84 Cutlass Supreme 2 door. Ever since before I bought the car, the brakes are extremely touchy. It's at the point of when you're coasting at a slow speed and apply the brakes, the front end dips down and it'll lock up the tires some. That's with minimal pressure applied. I feel it's more with the front brakes that at the rear. It's also definitely worse when you first start driving. As everything warms up, it calms down some, but still super touchy. It looks as if the proportioning valve has been replaced not too long before I bought the car. Rear shoes are newer. Front brakes and rotors are worn down but not to the point of needing changed yet. Any similar issues from anyone? Any advice on where to start to correct this is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Mike
Master Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor