Cutlass Trunk lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC
I noticed that there is a dime size rust spot surfacing around the Oldsmobile emblem on my 83 Olds. I opened the trunk reached into the cavity behind the trun and found its rusting from the inside out. Is this something that could be addressed and permanently stopped professionally ? Or would a new trunk lid be needed ?

1fast87olds

Greasemonkey
Feb 18, 2006
St. Albans Wv
mine is doing the same thing ... get ur self a new lid...

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
You should get a new one.

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC
85_SS said:
I agree. It can be patched, but if it is right through you may as well just replace it altogether.

Its shame because the rest of the trunk is in great shape. You think the rust would spread throughout ? I guess I need to address it since I'm in the process of scouting a paint color.

Any sites online that offer trunk lids?

Thanks

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
edmck82 said:
85_SS said:
I agree. It can be patched, but if it is right through you may as well just replace it altogether.

Its shame because the rest of the trunk is in great shape. You think the rust would spread throughout ? I guess I need to address it since I'm in the process of scouting a paint color.

Any sites online that offer trunk lids?

Thanks

If repaired properly it won't spread, but in the end it it will probably cost just as much as a replacement from a yard to repair it right. If you have any yards in the area that keep older parts you shouldn't have a problem getting one as they were a best selling car for 5-6 years.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
source for parts

You could try Desert Dog Auto Parts. desertdogautoparts.com. I think they are out of Chicago, but they bring parts in from Arizona. Get a trunk lid from out west if you can. I picked up some 86 Monte Carlo doors from a local guy who used to bring parts back from there. The looked like they were brand new.

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC
Re: source for parts

jerrycad472 said:
You could try Desert Dog Auto Parts. desertdogautoparts.com. I think they are out of Chicago, but they bring parts in from Arizona. Get a trunk lid from out west if you can. I picked up some 86 Monte Carlo doors from a local guy who used to bring parts back from there. The looked like they were brand new.

Thanks to the both of you for the info. I'll check that site to see if they have a lid. You know you'd think for a best selling car(as mentioned) there would be a larger aftermarket available.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
True, but an aftermarket trunk lid would still be a distant last choice over an original lid even if they did make them - fit and finish usually leaves something to be desired.

edmck82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Washington DC
85_SS said:
True, but an aftermarket trunk lid would still be a distant last choice over an original lid even if they did make them - fit and finish usually leaves something to be desired.

Good Point. The rest of the lid is immaculate. But actually addressing the rust from the inside would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor