64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’d recommend to hold off buying the wheels until you can do some mock-up

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I agree, build the car around the tires where you want them and set it up. If you notch the frame, see if you can shorten the housing ends and make the axels shorter. We always set the rear up to be as short as possible to make it lighter and tuck the wheels in as far as you can. And yes I would step up the axle. I ran 33's in my 12 bolt making 1000 hp.

Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
I’d recommend to hold off buying the wheels until you can do some mock-up
I'll try to get a pic in a little bit but on my work bench I plotted it all to visually see were I would be at. I had plenty of clearance with the 15x10 4.5bs on the frame side but it was a little close to the quarter panel since my car was pretty low. With the SN width 8.8 and 6.5bs it'll tucked in some more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
I agree, build the car around the tires where you want them and set it up. If you notch the frame, see if you can shorten the housing ends and make the axels shorter. We always set the rear up to be as short as possible to make it lighter and tuck the wheels in as far as you can. And yes I would step up the axle. I ran 33's in my 12 bolt making 1000 hp.
The 31 spline Strange axles should be enough for now. the other issue is a 35 spline non-spool diff is real pricey. I'm getting the 31 spline center for free from a friend that swapped to a wave-trac. I don't want to put a spool on the car now cause I street drive it ALOT.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'll try to get a pic in a little bit but on my work wench I plotted it all to visually see were I would be at. I had plenty of clearance with the 15x10 4.5bs on the frame side but it was a little close to the quarter panel since my car was pretty low. With the SN width 8.8 and 6.5bs it'll tucked in some more.
I can say that it's very easy to determine what fits once the axle is installed - it will eliminate all of the guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor