Daily Drivers Get in here!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snotrocket71

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2011
Wading River Long Island
I daily drove my 1987 cutlass salon for over 3 years and 50,000 miles of nearly troublefree service to and from work and college. before that i had an 89 k5 for a few months and before that i drove my 71 cutlass everyday. now i daily drive my 86 full size jimmy with a 4 speed. by far my favorite car to all around drive was the 87. the only reason why i preffered that over my 71 was the handling part, i love the way it handles. i've never owned a new car and dont normally have the pleasure (or displeasure) to drive newer vehicles. my grandma daily drove our 442 from the day they bought it until 2002. i would totally daily drive a g-body if i were you, if youre a good driver snow shouldnt be a major problem depending on your location and parts are still really cheap and of course you'll get alot of looks from people.

82cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2010
snotrocket71 said:
I daily drove my 1987 cutlass salon for over 3 years and 50,000 miles of nearly troublefree service to and from work and college. before that i had an 89 k5 for a few months and before that i drove my 71 cutlass everyday. now i daily drive my 86 full size jimmy with a 4 speed. by far my favorite car to all around drive was the 87. the only reason why i preffered that over my 71 was the handling part, i love the way it handles. i've never owned a new car and dont normally have the pleasure (or displeasure) to drive newer vehicles. my grandma daily drove our 442 from the day they bought it until 2002. i would totally daily drive a g-body if i were you, if youre a good driver snow shouldnt be a major problem depending on your location and parts are still really cheap and of course you'll get alot of looks from people.

Feeling better about just sticking with the cutty after reading your post. Def. get alot of looks from ppl thats for sure.

84 pro olds

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
Yeah, I to drive my 84 cutlass every day and including winter with snow tires. Thought about getting rid of it for something newer, just cant seem to do it. My wife drives an audi a6 and that thing stays in the shop, but not my cutlass. The old girl is just so reliable. The only trouble Im having with her is just trying to do projects to her with out keeping her off the road to long because it's my daily.

82cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2010
84 pro olds said:
The only trouble Im having with her is just trying to do projects to her with out keeping her off the road to long because it's my daily.

Thats def a downside to only having it as a daily driver, things would have to be done in two days max for the most part. lol
I was looking into one of those EFI set ups for better drivability. Theres not too much feed back as far as users go though, that ive seen anyways

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
What am I getting? Well im keeping the cutlass and going to be looking for a cheap little gas car or truck. Mabye a little honda or ranger or s10. somewhere in the 1500 dollar range. Id like the cutlass to be a spring summer fun driver. Im wanting to get a nice set of heads for it, but dont have the $ at the moment. Also, with in being my only car, its hard to do things like my bucket console conversion im wanting to do, when I have to drive the thing every day.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
cdg1984 said:
ive got a chevy 350 in my cutlass. It runs fine, its all the little sh*t that gets on my nerves. Ill be gettin a more practical dd pretty soon.
I know what your saying man! Its always the small sh*t that breaks and leaves you stranded.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I like to drive my Bonnewagon as much as possible, but it's impractical. So I grabbed a 99' Sunfire w/5 speed stick and I use that for general use and it gets 32 mpg highway, verified. It only cost $2000 and had 56K on the clock so it has loads of life left and is a great driver, very reliable. But for fishing and chores the wagon gets plenty of use and I would be lost without it.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
Yeah my DD is a truck. 06 F-150, Although it has been problem free since I have owned it the past two years it is hard on gas. I wouldn't mind getting into a Cavalier or Cobalt with a 5-speed for a Daily Driver. Great mileage would be nice for a change.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
My 81 Wagon has been my daily driver, about 50 miles/day for the past year and a half. No problems, although there are always things that need work. Really need to get that AC installed and working before summer.
And yeah, the worst part is that I can't do any big projects. If it can't be done in a weekend, it don't get done.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
My Lemans is my daily driver from mid april until late november. It's the only car I use during that period and I put 16000 kms on it last summer. I drive it everywhere and in all weather, that's what wipers, heaters and car washes are for. I only put it away for the winter because I don't want it to rust away. They put so much salt and crap that it wouldn't last very long. That's what winter beaters are for. Keep the Cutty and drive hell out of it. Sure old cars have their little nit pics and pain in the *ss problems but that goes with the territory. If you must have the Cutty stopped for a while because of improvements, get a little shitbox to get around in temporarily ( my hyundai cost me 500 bucks 2 winters ago), you will love your Cutty more when it's back on the move.
Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor