Daimler 5g-tronic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Just got struck by a brain fart.......
Has anybody ever put a Daimler 5g-tronic behind a SBC? This transmission is known to be well equipped to handle big torque numbers (about 1000NM) and is widely used behind high powered V8 and V12 engines. Chrysler used that transmission also behind it's Hemi V8's, called NAG1, only pi..ed off Chrysler engineers can come up with a name like that, BTW :barefoot:
Standalone controllers are available from different companies too.
Thinking about ditching the TH350 in my '85 El Camino in order to gain overdrive. 2004R's are impossible to find over here, 700R4's and 4L60's are mostly the 4.3 units and 4-figure for a questionable one. On the other hand, even if I tried I couldn't walk 100yrds without tripping over a cheap 5g-tronic over here, often still with a complete W210/W211 attached to it.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Only issue you might run into is the transmission controller. I'm not sure if these had a standalone controller, or if it was linked to the engine ECU. But yeah, they were used with the Mercedes turbo V-12s for years, and those beasts made up to 738 lb-ft from the factory!

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Just got struck by a brain fart.......
Has anybody ever put a Daimler 5g-tronic behind a SBC? .

If they're plentiful in EU then it could be a good idea for you if you can solve the mounting issue. In the US, anything German is typically avoided due to reliability and cost issues. Best advice for BMW or Audi owners is to sell before the warranty runs out.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Ironic how different the perceptions are on each side of the pond. German cars in Germany are considered easy and cheap to work on. Total opposite in the U.S. Likewise, I'm sure parts are hard to get over there for American models that were never officially sold there. Although I heard some G-Bodies were homologated and sold in Europe for a few years.

Reactions: 2 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Gbodies were in fact officially imported, at least early Malibu and Monte Carlo as well as Cutlass. At that time GM imported most of it's line up to Germany, but only a few dealers would sell and service them. They even built US cars from complete knockdown kits in Switzerland and Benelux.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Gbodies were in fact officially imported, at least early Malibu and Monte Carlo as well as Cutlass. At that time GM imported most of it's line up to Germany, but only a few dealers would sell and service them. They even built US cars from complete knockdown kits in Switzerland and Benelux.

They probably said, "Was für ein Scheiß!" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The adapter plate will be the biggest issue. Personally I would dump the sbc and go with a more modern motor, especially if it is a 305. But I hear that is difficult in Germany if it is a classic car. I owned a Dodge Challenger with a Nag 1 for nearly 7 years. A great shifting trans, never gave an ounce of trouble. They have quite a steep first year 3.5 to 3.9 depending on the application, which will help a weak motor. The overdrive isn't great at .83, so gear accordingly.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
They have quite a steep first year 3.5 to 3.9 depending on the application, which will help a weak motor. The overdrive isn't great at .83, so gear accordingly.
If that's the ratios, they might actually be a good match to the lame-O gears most Gbodys came with.
They're kind of fat in the middle so I'm not sure how tunnel clearance would be but if it fit I'd run one. I replaced a lot of "Chrysler" transmissions over the years but never one of these. They really aren't uncommon here in the states.

Figure out what it takes to make a NAG1 fit a Gbody and you might just be a hero in the community.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
A Nag1 would be a great choice for a stock geared G body. My SRT8 was a paddle shift NAG-1, it was really slick. The gearing in the SRT8 is like 2.92:1 and for a 4600lb car with 475ft/lbs of torque it was a lot of fun. FTI sells a cheap 2400 stall that really wakes it up, add in some AMG blue solenoids for about 550-600hp capacity.

Figure out the controller and you will have a winner.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Standalone controllers for this transmissions are already available from different companies for around 1k$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor