Dash Cap??

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
565BBchevy, it has been trial fitted a few times while installing stuff underneath......I do like the fact it feels much more robust with the tight fitting dashcap nowadays, as anyone who has babied one of these in and out knows, the fear of cracking is always front and center.....Its out at the moment, but will get some pics for you in the next few days.....
I was just curious since even though yours came out amazing and that is a great procedure to install one it still is thicker than the factory one, for me personally I am lucky enough that both my Monte and Regal still have mint factory dashes.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I think the reason I haven't had issues is because my vacuum pulled the dashcap skin very tight against the original dash. I did realize all the additional parts like speaker grilles etc needed to be restored as well cos they looked like crap when installed afterward. Quick tip - I used a child's metallic marker to restore all the silver lines around the vents etc....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=283973210629

P00701-213614.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
565BBChevy, you were right about the extra thickness of the cap causing issues.....I installed the gauge module into the dash yesterday and it fought me all the way. The additional lip area was the problem. For future reference, a heat gun will soften your dash cap's edges and the gauge panel will slip right in. Once the cap cools it stays formed to the correct size.

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Finished dash permanently screwed in.......one-man lift in and out many times with no cracking issues (yay) -
P01116-232342.jpg
any suggestions on re-coloring the steering wheel from the OEM brown to black?

P01117-203723.jpg
P01116-232242.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Finished dash permanently screwed in.......one-man lift in and out many times with no cracking issues (yay) - View attachment 162365 any suggestions on re-coloring the steering wheel from the OEM brown to black?

View attachment 162364 View attachment 162366
I tried dying a steering wheel with regular interior dye once. It looked good for a bit but began to wear off in the high contact areas. You could always do something like a wheelskins wrap on the wheel portion and dye the rest. Not sure what other options will work.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMO I would look for an aftermarket steering wheel that fit's your tastes, I never liked the large diameter of the factory steering wheels even if there was one that I liked style wise.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
565bbchevy, I don't dislike the OEM wheel, but do know others who truly hate it....pretty much my line of thought with the whole car.......hehehehe.....

Can't tell you how many times I have heard (from 60s/70s Camaro/Chevelle owners) "what did you build that ugly thing for?".....the stock steering wheel will set them off even more.........

anybody else got ideas on re-coloring the steering wheel? superbon54 - how many coats did you spray on? Was it SEM you used?

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
565bbchevy, I don't dislike the OEM wheel, but do know others who truly hate it....pretty much my line of thought with the whole car.......hehehehe.....

Can't tell you how many times I have heard (from 60s/70s Camaro/Chevelle owners) "what did you build that ugly thing for?".....the stock steering wheel will set them off even more.........

anybody else got ideas on re-coloring the steering wheel? superbon54 - how many coats did you spray on? Was it SEM you used?
I think it was three light coats, and yes SEM was what I used. I also did the recommended cleaning and adhesion promoter as well.

Reactions: 1 user

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
approx how long did it last? Daily use? Weekend use? Racing? tootling around? I don't have a problem re-coating if it lasts a reasonable amount of time.....

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I redid a NK4 four spoke wheel over ten years ago with PPG's former Specialty Performance Products that is now called One Choice. It went from gray to dark maple & still holding up. Haven't installed it but have had to clean it several times cause the hand oils from the past still bleed out & made it sticky. But as long everything is properly preped it'll last a long time but no guarantees it'll last forever depending of how rough the use is.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor