dash covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010
does anyone have any experience with the 100% dash covers from dixie monte carlo? here's a link to one of the ones i'm looking at. The ones that are dyed to match the factory interior color are roughly $30 more (which is probably what I would get). I was talking to a couple people on the chatroom on here, and one individual mentioned that he has heard of them warping in the heat. Can anyone confirm this or give any other insight on them?

I'd love to get one because, like many other people here, my dash is riddled with cracks. With shipping, the cover comes close to $200 and thats more than i'm willing to spend on an experiment. Does anyone know who manufactures them?

No experience here but thanks for the link.. looks like a pretty easy quick fix to the gaping cracks in my dash, as long as its better material than the original eh

I have no experience with Gbody dash covers but I did put one on an old VW. It was basically the same thing, just and overlay. I have had it on my VW for over 10 yrs now and it is still looking great. I won two "Best Interior" awards at car shows this spring so it must look OK.

Installing it was pretty easy. I had to take the knobs and stuff off the dash of course. And, the dash has to be made nice and smooth before installing it, of course. The dash didn't fit the way it came. It had to be trimmed. But, that's a good thing. I used some spray can adhesive of some variety. I can't remember exactly what I used but it didn't set up on contact so I had a little time to position it before it became permanent. Not a lot of time, though. I had to use a hair dryer in some of the corners or around bends. That makes the dash cover soft and bendable and you can shape it that way. Once it cools down it stays hard and retains the shape of your bend. That works well for around vents and bezels.

Granted, all of that was for a VW dash cover, but I can't imagine threre being much difference. I plan on putting one on mine. I pulled a dash from an old car and had it in my garage and a day or two I looked at it and found it had cracked while just sitting there. Those old dashes all crack. You might find a good one or might repair one but after a year it will probably have more cracks in it. So, using an old dash is not a long term solution. Covering it with vinyl might work for some but it will look patched together and probably come lose when it gets hot. I seen some dashes in the junkyards where people tried to use vinyl on them and they look awful.

So I think that the dash cover is probably the best solution for the money/time. I'll be getting one for my Cutlass in the upcoming months and will report on it.

Too bad they dont make one for the cutlass, could definately use one.....guess i'll just hafta 'glass it

MrHernandez said:
Too bad they dont make one for the cutlass, could definately use one.....guess i'll just hafta 'glass it

They DO make one for the Cutlass. It's only been available within the past couple of months. It's a two piece overlay. One piece is for the gauge surround and the other piece if the main dash cover. And it goes all the way down, not just halfway like the older ones.

carmangary said:
MrHernandez said:

They DO make one for the Cutlass. It's only been available within the past couple of months. It's a two piece overlay. One piece is for the gauge surround and the other piece if the main dash cover. And it goes all the way down, not just halfway like the older ones.
So who carries these and about how much do they cost.....a link would be nice and thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor