Dash Speaker Removal???HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan1575

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2009
Powder Springs, GA
I need to replace the dash speakers in my 86 GP LE and instead of trial and error and messing something up, i'd rather do it correct the first time. Can someone please help with how to get to the dash speakers. The best way to get to the rear speakers would be helpful as well. Thanks all

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
the dash speakers are a B*TCH but you'll need an offset screwdriver...there cheap or option 2, if you can find one of those flexible screwdrivers that will make your job so much easier, from there just unscrew and remove, be very carefull not to damage the dash or the speaker grilles, they brreak easy, IMO if your speakers are shot i would disconnect the wires and leave them there since they suck anyway, dixie monte carlo has door panels thats take a 6" and put some small tweeters on the dash they use double sided tape so no breakage there.

After taking a breath if you dash is looks like crap already then put what ever you want in it, keep in mind those speaker in the front are that size only, so any larger upgrades are a no no...

rear speakers that should screw right out...
step 1. open trunk
step 2. get in trunk and position yourself close the the rear deck and look up (should see speakers)
step 3. unscrew.
step 4. drink some beer and say wtf was GM thinking using the bottom of barrel AC Delco's

n8dogg

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2009
Winnipeg, Canada
those front speakers are retarded to say the least. IMO your best bet is to make some kick panel speakers. I did that and they sound great, took about a hour to make the wood panels and ran some new wires. Total time was about 2 hours from start to finish. less time than taking your dash out and monkey'n around with that crap.

jordan1575

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2009
Powder Springs, GA
thanks for the reply!!! in order to get to the dash speakers...do the grills just pop off or do you have to unscrew something from under the dash...seems like they should come off fairly easy but i dunno, just dont want to f%&k up the dash because its look great still, not even a crack in it matter of fact...

edit**and i am doing the door panel upgrade as well..but still want to use the stock location in the dash for some extra highs

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
look through you front windshield and you see the screws, but they pop off after you unscrew them, so there will be no down low dash play! :(

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I found it was easier to stand outside the car and watch what I was doing through the windshield.

But really, it's not hard.

JaguarPGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2009
Right next door to Hell, NJ
I took the dashboard out of my 84 GP to solve some other issues, and decided to replace the front speakers. Put new Pioneer ones in, and like 3 months later they blew up. Took the dash out again, and cut the grills out, and viola, now my speakers are top loading for easy access!

Good luck with the swap...

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota
My front speakers are shot.

I plan on buying some kick panels and just disconnecting the factory speakers in the dash.

I've taken apart my dash before, it wasn't a fun time when I cracked a little plastic piece on the gauge cluster cover. (it's all one piece and is a pain to get on and off since it wraps around the column.)

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
sui_winbolo said:
(it's all one piece and is a pain to get on and off since it wraps around the column.)
Just loosen the 2 nuts on the bolts holding up the column, and let it drop an inch or so. Cluster bezel should come out no problem. (Next time, I guess)

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota
IhaveNoPantsOn said:
Just loosen the 2 nuts on the bolts holding up the column, and let it drop an inch or so. Cluster bezel should come out no problem. (Next time, I guess)

THANK YOU!!

My little manual I got with with my head unit kit did not mention that.

Oh, and the kit did not fit as it turned out, only paid $10 for it and got a nice dash diagram at least. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor