Dash swap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ2014

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2013
I really like the looks of the Grand Prix dashes and I always wanted one in my 78 regal. I came across one in the yard that was in good shape outta a 85 bonneville sedan. I'm probably going after school to see if it's still in there and probably pull it. I've never removed a g body dash and need all the help and advise I can get. How hard is to pull the Pontiac dash. I know it will bolt right into mines but what all re wiring is needed. The vents look to be in the same place as my regal is there any duct work needed. What all is gonna need to be done for this swap. I need all the help and advice I can get thanks

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The dash easy to pull and should go into you Regal mount-wise with no problems. I swapped a GP dash into my Monte 2 years ago and love it! As far as the gauges/HVAC and other electronics go I cant help you since mine is all aftermarket. If you get the GP dash pull EVERYTHING under the dash just to eliminate issues later on.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Champ2014 said:
I really like the looks of the Grand Prix dashes and I always wanted one in my 78 regal. Of course you do! The Grand Prix is the best looking G inside and out. Just another Pontiac raped by another non Pontiac owner :wtf:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
84GP455 said:
Champ2014 said:
I really like the looks of the Grand Prix dashes and I always wanted one in my 78 regal. Of course you do! The Grand Prix is the best looking G inside and out. Just another Pontiac raped by another non Pontiac owner :wtf:
If its in the junkyard whats the big deal? Maybe we should just let the good parts rot so we don't piss off the purists :roll:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree! If it's in the junkyard, it's fair game...and if it can enhance a vehicle with a crappy dash...all the better.
Like most guys, I think the GP dash is one of the best looking G-body dashes out there. In fact, I have one going into my wagon in the not so distant future...at least until after I paint it to match....so there!

Finding GP/ Lemans/ Bonneville dashes in good shape were always easier than finding Malibu/ Monte. El Camino dashes.
Of course, it's not the case anymore. The cars are gradually starting to dry up.

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Not to piss off the purist on here any more but....I have 2 in my possession right now. One it going in my 86 Monte SS that already has GP lower door panels & center console with Hurst Lightning Rods in it. The other is for sale.
Get everything. All of the ductwork is different. I would go as far as getting the wiring harness for the dash as well.

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
I'm in the middle of swapping out my 1980 Monte dash for a nice GP one. It's a dark elephant grey color (scarce too, btw) and while I like the look of the GP gauges, I am modifying the gauge housings for AutoMeter Nexxus gauges. I designed a black woodgrain trim bezel to overlay the GP woodgrain one-it's gonna look killer in the end! I am also building a complete 78-85 Monte center console for it as well. The GP dashes have a plastic core backing so the vinyl is far less likely to crack in extreme weather which is why they hold up much better than other gbody dashpads.

And oh yeah, the word has been out for awhile on the coolness of the GP dashes....so everybody better grab them up now!

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
galeaiii said:
Not to piss off the purist on here any more but....I have 2 in my possession right now. One it going in my 86 Monte SS that already has GP lower door panels & center console with Hurst Lightning Rods in it. The other is for sale.
Get everything. All of the ductwork is different. I would go as far as getting the wiring harness for the dash as well.
Well it doesn't say much for your Chevy's dash now does it? Just admit it, Pontiacs have far more superior interiors than the rest of the G body's!All the rest are boring, plain and cheaply made compared to Pontiac.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Finding GP/ Lemans/ Bonneville dashes in good shape were always easier than finding Malibu/ Monte. El Camino dashes.
Of course, it's not the case anymore. The cars are gradually starting to dry up.[/quote]
They are in better shape because they were made better!

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
I agree 100% Pontiac made better interior schemes...second imo would be the Cutlass. Regal interiors are beyond fugly imo. Anyway, here's the dash I'm using for my 1980 MOnte....the lighter grey (basically white) trim is the accent color which you can see some of in the box next to the dash-it took me awhile to find this particular color combo-they ain't easy to find. The center console, seats and seatbelts along with the carpet will all the same dark grey. I detailed the vents and other dash trim with a grey accent trim color similar to the 85 SS interior accent grey. As for whether people "should" use GP dashes in their Montes...why not? That's how the mexican exported Montes were built...I'll just tell the purists its a mexican monte. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor