DBW pedal questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
I'm starting my second LS swap but this is the first time I have dealt with DBW. I have a 5.3 out of an '06 Silverado and a 4l80e I will be putting in an '86 Cutlass.

I didn't get the pedal or TAC module with the engine. I just wondered if anyone could recommend a pedal and TAC module that will work with the engine and fit well in a G body.

Thanks

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I'm starting my second LS swap but this is the first time I have dealt with DBW. I have a 5.3 out of an '06 Silverado and a 4l80e I will be putting in an '86 Cutlass.

I didn't get the pedal or TAC module with the engine. I just wondered if anyone could recommend a pedal and TAC module that will work with the engine and fit well in a G body.

Thanks

Here's the combo I used in my 1986 442. C6 Corvette pedal - GM #25835421, E38 ECU and a 2009 Escalade throttle body. I made my own harness and had to reverse the ascending / descending potentiometer pin out to get it to work (swap pins D and F or wire colors brown for white/black).

I've read that the C6 Corvette pedal can be adapted to many GM DBW applications. I didn't want to hack up my firewall and drill any mounting holes so I made an aluminum bracket to mount it. You also need to bend the stamped arm in the correct direction for transmission tunnel clearance. Not a big job with a good vise. Works flawlessly.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention that you can swap the factory G body plastic pedal onto the Corvette pedal. The Corvette pedal was too small for my liking.

Good luck with your build.

1544550185834.png

Reactions: 1 users

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
I wonder if I could use the stock throttle body, TAC module and Corvette pedal? I don't really want to have to buy a new throttle body, harness and ECU.

This is a super low budget build. Maybe I will get an '06 Silverado pedal and TAC to get it running, Then see if I can adapt the Corvette pedal.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I reused the pickup pedal I got from the 03 denali harness I used.

I cut the pedal off a few inches below the sensor and welded the G body pedal to the pickup pedal. I reused the 3 bolts that hold the plastic triangle shaped G body pedal bracket to the firewall but drilled that pattern into the pickup pedal bracket. I had to use some longer bolts but sandwiched the whole assembly together.

If you have a welder you are going to have to drill holes anyways so just use what you have and fab up what fits.

I have heard a monte carlo also works off like a 07 ls4 car but you have to rewire it.

LS engines do get picky with the DBW pedal and the TAC, pedal and TB have to match decently well. Just keep what you have and modify the pedal to fit. I've got at least 5k miles on my setup and its worked good.

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
Well there are 2 problems with that. I didn't get the Silverado pedal or TAC with the engine. Also it looks like the '06 Silverado is an odd one, the whole pedal assembly is plastic. So no cutting or welding.

I still think I will get an '06 pedal and TAC module to get it running. Then I can try some different pedals.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I wonder if I could use the stock throttle body, TAC module and Corvette pedal? I don't really want to have to buy a new throttle body, harness and ECU.

This is a super low budget build. Maybe I will get an '06 Silverado pedal and TAC to get it running, Then see if I can adapt the Corvette pedal.

A lot of guys struggle with the TAC modules which limit your options and are fussy which TB and pedals are connected. Since your engine has a 58x reluctor wheel I would shop for a E67 ECU and toss the TAC in the garbage. GM’s E67 engine control unit (ECU) doesn't require a TAC and is the brain behind the LS9 and LS3, as well as many garden-variety four-, six-, and eight-cylinder GM engines. Because of its fast processor and plentiful memory, it’s the go-to ECU for V8 LS swaps and you should be able to find it in the salvage yard for cheap. It also has provisions built in for cruise control. I used an E38 but if I had to do it over again would opt for the E67.

1544565436157.png

Last edited:

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
One thing to note, the E38 PCM is not as easy to hook up cruise control with and requires expensive (like $400) boxes.

P01 computers are 5 wires and it's done.

But yeah the tac, TB and pedal have to match. Its picky.

Reactions: 1 user

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
I think y'all just swamped dude!
I think you're right , I had no issues with my first LS swap. This DBW stuff seems to be confusing me for some reason.

For me I think it will work best to get the '06 pedal and TAC, get the car running, then see if I can swap out the pedal. I need to keep this as cheap as possible, I have too many projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor