Dead blower motor

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey all, 78 malibu, originally ac, converted to non ac for space reasons. Recently my blower motor died (46 year old no suprises) i ordered a vdo/continental along with a new relay and resistor just for reliability. The old motor was confirmed dead by bench test. Anyway new motor just died. Things maybe an hour old?? Going to buy another one but i noticed options include ac/non ac and vented/non vented. Wondering if mine burned up by selecting the wrong replacement? Original was ac/vented so that is what i replaced it with, and just let the vent tube hang. I don’t recall what it was attached to anyway but it’s long gone. Should i go with the non ac/non vented or did i just get a dud ….

seeing that you replaced three things at the same time,did you test the motor alone to rule out it's not something else? I know the ac style setup,that vent hose draws air from the box to pull air across the resistor to keep it at a decent temp to live by.then into the motor.the non ac box is layed out differently minus the hose but I can't see all that causing it to fail.my money's on a faulty part vs hose non hose vent issue

Last edited:
Reactions: Baker7888
Was it a complete OE conversion to including harnesses?
No it was not a complete conversion. Existing harness and existing controls in the cabin. The old blower did last a few years after the box swap.

seeing that you replaced three things at the same time,did you test the motor alone to rule out it's not something else? I know the ac style setup,that vent hose draws air from the box to pull air across the resistor to keep it at a decent temp to live by.then into the motor.the non ac box is layed out differently minus the hose but I can't see all that causing it to fail.my money's on a faulty part vs hose non hose vent issue
Yes i bench tested the blower motor and it’s dead. I may as well order a non vented then as i won’t be hooking it up to anything?

If you're using the under hood A/C harness it is possible the red wire could be cooking it. The resistor should only have three wires (yellow, light blue, orange). The orange wire also jumps to the blower motor off that connector. The heater & heat-A/C units use different resistors & the heat-A/C only uses the blower relay.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor