Delco 1.5 CD Player... better than the tape decks power wise?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I really like the look of this radio, and to be honest I'm not opposed to having a cd unit in my car.
My question is, can this radio handle more power (bass/sub) than my current eq tape deck? Or would it be pointless to swap?
s-l960.jpg

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Looks like a Pontiac 1995 unit?

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
These are pricey but real nice.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
From what I've seen inside of my CD player ('96 Camaro unit) when I replace the disk drive, it looks like it has all the same parts as my tape player ('89 Firebird unit).

Reactions: 1 users

pizza442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2017
I installed this same unit (out of a 88 or 89 FWD Cutlass) into my 79 H/O in the early 90s. Found some sort of wiring adapter, Dealer only had the later (86-88) dash wood-stlye 1.5 DIN so I used that to look stock (bought a few extras which I sold years later:D) Only issue I remember was that I really had to turn up the volume much higher than what seemed normal, like I was missing an amp or something, but otherwise it worked perfectly.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I installed this same unit (out of a 88 or 89 FWD Cutlass) into my 79 H/O in the early 90s. Found some sort of wiring adapter, Dealer only had the later (86-88) dash wood-stlye 1.5 DIN so I used that to look stock (bought a few extras which I sold years later:D) Only issue I remember was that I really had to turn up the volume much higher than what seemed normal, like I was missing an amp or something, but otherwise it worked perfectly.
The volume thing may have been the impedance of the speakers. 16 ohm speakers are quieter than 4 or 8 ohm speakers at the same volume setting.

pizza442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2017
The volume thing may have been the impedance of the speakers. 16 ohm speakers are quieter than 4 or 8 ohm speakers at the same volume setting.
So the factory speakers in the 79 were 16 ohms? And in the 88 or 89 Cutlass they were 4 or 8? I know the factory front and rear speakers in my 72 Cutlass Sup were 10ohms, never heard of 16 tho...

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
So the factory speakers in the 79 were 16 ohms? And in the 88 or 89 Cutlass they were 4 or 8? I know the factory front and rear speakers in my 72 Cutlass Sup were 10ohms, never heard of 16 tho...
It's been a while so I can't remember exactly what the impedance of the speakers I took out of my Pontiac were, I do know that as vehicles got newer, the speaker impedances generally went down. It wasn't uncommon to see 2 ohm speakers in the higher end Bose and Monsoon stereos and 4 ohm in the lower end systems.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor