differential cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 7, 2014
Goodyear, AZ 85338
I bought a mr. gasket chrome cover for the differential. I have 2 questions: it came with a gasket, one side dark and shiny and the other side "corky" looking. which side goes against differential housing? my second question: do I use sealant with the gasket? thanks for any help or suggestions!

I'm not too sure about which way it should go, but I would guess that the cork side goes against the cover.

If it was me I would probably put in a rubber gasket that way you never have to worry about leaks or anything. A few bucks extra insurance.

I never put RTV or any type of sealant on rubber gaskets, it should seal fine without as long as your gasket surfaces are clean. That way when you have to remove the cover you don't have a big mess on the gasket surface to clean up. I do put a little dab of gasket adhesive in a few spots just to hold the gasket in place while installing.

No prob, usually Advance auto has them in stock for a few bucks.

As far as the gasket that was supplied with the new cover, my guess is that the shiny side of the gasket needs to be pulled of to reveal a sticky side of the gasket to hold it in place during the install. But this is just a guess.

I RTV my gasket to the cover, makes it reusable. I have to check the weak 7.5" every time before 1/8 mile track runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor