Direct Injection and VVT technology questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeryRegalSedan

Apprentice
Jul 19, 2010
does any one know of any chevrolet v8 cars that feature these technologies (vvt is variable valve timing) i would really like to undertake installing one of these engines into my regal. any info would be helpful, thanks.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
The 3.6 LLT from Camaro's and Traverses have both direct injection and VVT. If you wait a little while longer, GM is supposedly coming out with a 6.2L direct injected LS based engine featuring VVT, making close to 500hp :shock:

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
if i am not mistaken, the 4.8 5.3 and possibely the 6.0 all have VVT now but you won't be finding these at any junkyards so your price on any of of these engines will still be sky high

VeryRegalSedan

Apprentice
Jul 19, 2010
Yeah im just making plans for the future, swap wont be happening for a while lol, thanks guys i now have a starting point for my research :D

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
I heard that 3.6 is going to get 330 hp next year. wtf

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
custom442 said:

3.6 is the worst motor gm is making right now, i'd be real skeptical

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
never install anything new from GM, wait 5yrs for the bugs to be found, then you can fix them before the install. especially something like DI. unless you have them just right, you can kill the motor and never know there's something wrong. and considering that (IIRC) the american truck diesels aren't even a true DI yet...
you want a cool one? go to germany and get a VW or BMW v6 diesel. some basic mods and tuning=300hp and 500tq at 40+MPG
you'll have DI, VVT, and VGT!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Have to go with Megaladon6 on this one. Regardless of what GM says, about testing of new technology, usually there are still bugs to be worked out. After GM has built a vehicle for a few years without major changes, they're usually a pretty safe buy. And usually once they become reliable and a good buy, they either make major changes to that platform, or they stop building it altogether. If you're looking for a newer style engine to swap, GM has expanded their line of E-Rod crate engine packages for 2011. If you have VERY deep pockets full of money, you can buy the LS9 supercharged Corvette engine in CTS-V trim (556HP) as an E-Rod package.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Peter said:
custom442 said:

Here's something weird - I 'raced' a new RS on the highway with my truck a few months ago. Went up to 110-120, when I slowed down to let him pass it smelled like his engine was burning all to hell, smelled like it was leaning out so bad. I mean when you can smell it on the highway thats a very bad thing.

It's just amazing that they're even making a 3.6 with 330 hp N/A from the factory, that by itself makes it a great engine. I have to wonder how much power these things will make in 15 years.... or even 5 years from now.

VeryRegalSedan

Apprentice
Jul 19, 2010
custom442 said:
Peter said:
custom442 said:

Here's something weird - I 'raced' a new RS on the highway with my truck a few months ago. Went up to 110-120, when I slowed down to let him pass it smelled like his engine was burning all to hell, smelled like it was leaning out so bad. I mean when you can smell it on the highway thats a very bad thing.

It's just amazing that they're even making a 3.6 with 330 hp N/A from the factory, that by itself makes it a great engine. I have to wonder how much power these things will make in 15 years.... or even 5 years from now.

its sure to be quite ridiculous and on top of that the new electric cars are kind of impressive (except in the range category), its definitely a dawning of a new age in automotive technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor