Disk brakes off a 84 camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Ok i have a 84 camaro that is complete and im using parts here and there for my monte carlo but i was wondering if the rear disk brake set up will work on it?? Does anyone know if it will work

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
87montecarlomrc said:
Ok i have a 84 camaro that is complete and im using parts here and there for my monte carlo but i was wondering if the rear disk brake set up will work on it?? Does anyone know if it will work
i didnt kno that year came with rear disc brakes...

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
No they won't work.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Yea its an 84 z28 with 4 wheel disk brakes and ok i wasnt forsure if they wood work, it was worth a shoot

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Yes they will work with some minor modifications to your rear end. I know they will for sure because that's what I put on my Monte

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
galeaiii said:
Yes they will work with some minor modifications to your rear end. I know they will for sure because that's what I put on my Monte

Really? Sweeeeet what kind of things will i have to do to my rearend

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
It wasn't as hard as it is going to sound. First thing you are going to have to remove everything that has to do with the drum brakes, including the backing plate. Next you will have to modify the flange that the drum backing plate mounts to so that the disc brake mounting plate will bolt to it. You will have to do some cutting and drilling. You will also have to get your axles turned down so that they will fit inside the rotors. I had to move my driver's side lower shock mount about a half inch towards the center of the car. Other than a little brake line work that's about it. I have read a lot about proportioning valves, I am using my stock Monte Carlo one. I don't know if I put an adjustable one on there if it would work better. I do know that my 86 SS stops shorter than my wife's 2005 VW GLI.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Well sure, if you cut things up you can make them fit. But they are not going to just bolt-on.

And if your going to the trouble of installing rear disc brakes why not go with the much nicer LS1 rear brakes? You can get adapters for those and not have cut anything on the rearend.

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
It's all about how much its going to cost for some of us. The man said that he had the parts and wanted to know if they would work. Like him I had the parts laying around and made them work so that I could have 4 wheel disc brakes. I'm sure that there are many different styles of rear disc brakes that could possibly be better, but if you got them why not use them if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor