Dome light issues

Chased

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2024
So I just picked this 86 cutlass up and the dome and floor lights were burnt out. I replaced them with LED and with the doors open the dome lights don’t come on. They come on with the interior light dash switch but when you shut them off them stay on really dim.

What am I looking for to hunt down this issue? Door pins?……. Something dumb?

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Did you replace all bulbs with LED's? Try installing the correct bulbs first. If everything works correctly and you want to use LED's, replace one at a time and see if it works correctly. I don't recall and my car currently has no interior installed, but if the lower courtesy lights use a 194 style bulb, some of them only work when installed one way. If it still doesn't work from the door switches, pull the switches out and just ground the wire and if they work, either clean or replace the bad switch or switches.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Did you replace all bulbs with LED's? Try installing the correct bulbs first. If everything works correctly and you want to use LED's, replace one at a time and see if it works correctly. I don't recall and my car currently has no interior installed, but if the lower courtesy lights use a 194 style bulb, some of them only work when installed one way. If it still doesn't work from the door switches, pull the switches out and just ground the wire and if they work, either clean or replace the bad switch or switches.
Some LEDs are directional and have to be turned around if they don't work, unlike regular bulbs that work no matter what direction they are installed in.

Chased

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2024
I've made sure they are in correctly I'm very familiar with LED's. I ordered new GM door pins to see if that's the issue. I'll have to pick up some regular bulbs to rule out the LED's I just didn't have any last night.

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Why don't you just pull out the door switches and ground the wire before you order new switches? Why would you order new switches if the old ones aren't bad? The old GM switches are far superior to the Chinese replacements. Most of the time the originals can just be cleaned with some sand paper.

Reactions: 1 users

Chased

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2024
Why don't you just pull out the door switches and ground the wire before you order new switches? Why would you order new switches if the old ones aren't bad? The old GM switches are far superior to the Chinese replacements. Most of the time the originals can just be cleaned with some sand paper.
30 bucks for NEW GM. I didn't order aftermarket

Reactions: 1 user

Chased

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2024
Well I’m pretty confident the door pins are the issue the driver side is pretty corroded and broke pulling it out

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor