Door panel clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
Vandals ruined my 1979 Buick Regal door lock cylinders and I am going to have to replace them. Are the door trim panels held on with plastic single use clips? If so do I need a part number to get the correct ones? The car is my driver and I don't want it apart while I have to drive it so need to order the parts before doing the job. Thanks for your information.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Fasteners pretty available. The hard part is getting the door panel off without damaging it so get the vee shaped tool

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
Vandals ruined my 1979 Buick Regal door lock cylinders and I am going to have to replace them. Are the door trim panels held on with plastic single use clips? If so do I need a part number to get the correct ones? The car is my driver and I don't want it apart while I have to drive it so need to order the parts before doing the job. Thanks for your information.
I am also looking for where to get door lock cylinders. I see in a Youtube video from G Body Garage that the cylinders have a bracket on them. I don't find replacement cylinders that have that bracket. Is the bracket removable and what tool is used? Are they held on with clips and do those clips break when removing them? Here is a screen grab from the video showing showing those brackets.

Attachments

• Lock Set.jpg
    Lock Set.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 103

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Door locks have a gasket between lock and the door skin.
lock gasket.jpg

Levers or pawls are held on by clips. The tab in the center locks it in place in a depression or shallow hole in the lock, gently bend it up as you slide the clip off.
lever clip.jpg

Linkage rod to lever (pawl) clips. These usually get broken to get them off since you can't see what you are doing. Auveco 15518 https://www.auveco.com/door-lock-rod-clips/gm-door-lock-rod-clip-15518

15518_1.jpg

Kit at OPGI.
https://www.opgi.com/keys-locks/ext...ks/lock-set-doors-gm-w-late-keys-kk26025.html

The picture from the video has the lock retainer clips with the anti theft covers (blocks access when using a "slim jim"), the early cars didn't come with them if you can find them they are nice to have.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
Door locks have a gasket between lock and the door skin.
View attachment 186903

Levers or pawls are held on by clips. The tab in the center locks it in place in a depression or shallow hole in the lock, gently bend it up as you slide the clip off.
View attachment 186904

Linkage rod to lever (pawl) clips. These usually get broken to get them off since you can't see what you are doing. Auveco 15518 https://www.auveco.com/door-lock-rod-clips/gm-door-lock-rod-clip-15518

View attachment 186905

Kit at OPGI.
https://www.opgi.com/keys-locks/ext...ks/lock-set-doors-gm-w-late-keys-kk26025.html

The picture from the video has the lock retainer clips with the anti theft covers (blocks access when using a "slim jim"), the early cars didn't come with them if you can find them they are nice to have.
Awesome information. Thank you so much.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I will add that the linkage rod clips are real easy to put on you just push the rod into the narrow slot in the clip till it seats in the groove in the rod. Removing them is a real bear with out breaking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor