Door pin replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortuently, the way GM crimped the ends, they arend a matter of a punch and hammer.

Take of the door, and then take of the hinges from the body (easiest way I found, at least). Grind down the top where it has that buldge, so its flush. Hammer and punch it out.

Watch the top hinge when removing. Don't do it AFTER you have the car in primer and has been blocked. Don't ask me how I know.

1988CSC said:
Unfortuently, the way GM crimped the ends, they arend a matter of a punch and hammer.

Take of the door, and then take of the hinges from the body (easiest way I found, at least). Grind down the top where it has that buldge, so its flush. Hammer and punch it out.

Watch the top hinge when removing. Don't do it AFTER you have the car in primer and has been blocked. Don't ask me how I know.

Do i need to do this to replace the bushings? I ended up just loosing up the hinge bolts on the body side and jacking the door up retightening and the doors close as if they were new but thats just the poor mans way of fixing things.

I used an engine hoist and two ratchet straps to hold the door.
I cut the pins with a sawzall.
I used a punch to drive the old bushings out and the new ones in.
I used the punch to install the new pins.

Whalla the door opened and closed much better.

im doing mine soon my doors are sagging all i know is they are horsesasses to work with,get about three guys,a couple berrs,some tools and time and hope you can do them,i replaced one of them with one guy and it was a mother to get one out and put a new one in,but its definitly worth the hassle

I just heated the tops with a torch and pounded them out with a punch. It worked good but you gotta be careful you don't melt the hinge or anything behind it.

I used a diegrinder to grind the crimped ends off. Then used a punch and hammer to drive the old pins out. There's usually 2 different size bushings for upper and lower. It also couldn't hurt to have the spring compressor/ remover/ installation tool. You can find them at a good body supply shop or Eastwood.
Easy job.

cutoff wheel, punch, and hammer, and a buddy to hold the door for ya of corse! Its a pain, but it needs to be done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor