Dragging the 79 back out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2010
Illinois
Hey everyone! I am new here. I have been an Oldsmobile guy since I was 15. My first was a 70 Cutlass. I have had a couple 78's, 79,s, 80 and 84 Cutlass's. I still have my 79 that has been sitting for quite some time. I would like to see it back on the road but not sure about the condition of it yet. I need to get it pulled out and do an assessment on it. I have owned this car for 23 years. A lot of good times in the ol girl.

I have had the thought that I would get it back on the road sometime. I would like to maybe build a 442 clone somewhat. The plan was/is to find a newer complete 442 interior, wiring and all to swap into the 79. I like the blue and silver 442 colors and was thinking about doing that paint job on it as well. I would like to have a t-top car but will have to make due with what I have. Drive line would probably be an LS style engine. I have a 5.3 now but have made plans to put it in my 85 short bed.

It would be a lot simpler to just go buy a 442 that is road ready. I do like the 81+ style but I have had this 79 for a long time and if it works out then I would like to build it. I think it would look pretty nice with the newer interior and paint scheme on the older 79. I went out and checked on the car today and I am not sure what I am going to run into yet. Like I said it has been sitting for a while. I have already replaced the drivers floor pan and both rear frame rails in the past so it wouldn't surprise me if it needs attention in the floor board department again. Kind of rough looking now. I need to figure out how to resize my pics for this forum. Too big to upload.

Last edited:
Welcome from a Canadian owner of two 1980 Cutlasses. im thinking of doing my stock 2nd one up as a 442 clone as well, I'll be watching your progress.
Welcome again.

Thanks. I still need to get my short bed done before really digging into this one. I am about half way through on my truck. I also need to start looking for interior pieces or luck out and find a wrecked 442. I would say fat chance of that happening though. It would be a lot easier if the 79 front header panel and rear just bolt up to the newer body. Ha! I do like the 81+ body as they have a nice sleek stance but there is just something about the earlier body that I like. Maybe I am just biased.

I used to see an ad on craigslist here in Illinois of someone always looking for Hurst/442 pieces. I need to see if I can track that back down and see if he is still collecting. I talked to him once but that was a couple of years ago.

Welcome from a Canadian owner of two 1980 Cutlasses. im thinking of doing my stock 2nd one up as a 442 clone as well, I'll be watching your progress.
Welcome again.

I would like to see a pic of this body style done with the 85-87 paint colors and style with stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor