Ecm failure? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
By back-fit I mean to remove the CCC carb and distributor and replace with pre-CCC parts. If you are not up to tuning an old style non-computer engine then don't do it.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just wondering is it just the ECM fuse or are you also blowing the gauge fuse? When my '81's ECM gave up the ghost it wasn't blowing it's own fuse but the gauge fuse, Chucked it & all was good. Oddly everything did run better but it was a 229 V6 so anything was an improvement.

Jsbikerboy92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
Well that's good to know. Bad news is I'm in California. So any advice on how to start checking for a short? I don't know where to begin at all or how.

Jsbikerboy92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
It blew the 10amp fuse I put in.. so I put a 15amp fuse.. and is started smoking the ecm and it blew the fuse right as I was about to pull the fuse back out.. all the guages work fine still.. I just bought the car for $500 from a couple worker. He had no idea why the check engine light was on.. he hadn't drivin it in 4 years

Jsbikerboy92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
Only fuse I'm having problems with is the ecm fuse. Everything else is fine.. all lights work. All gauges work.. can't find anything wrong with the car or any other fuse

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You will need a multi-meter, a 12 volt test light, and the wiring diagram for your specifc car. The ECM gets 12 volts for power but most of it's functions are grounds. Start at the fuse itself and see if there are any shorts to ground between the fuse and ECM. Then see which ECM wires are powered and test them for shorts to ground. It is a time consuming task and you really will need a wiring diagram.

Jsbikerboy92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
Yeah sounds like a weekend alone and beer in the garage. I was trying to find a diagram online. But I was having a hard time getting any

Jsbikerboy92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
So I received the new esc today.. and installed it. Soon as I did the car ran like how it's been.. then the check engine light started blinking.. then when it stopped blinking it shut off completely. And the car started running way way better. The throttle is nice and snappy.. no sputters.. doesn't smell like gas fumes.. like the computer reprogramed everything.. but my issue is the check engine light is still on really really dimm. U can't see it unless u look real close. And I tried to jump the ports with the paper clip and nothing.. can't get it to blinking nothing at all. The only time I see the light on bright is right before I start the car. It blikes once real quick soon as I turn the ignition on..

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
So I received the new esc today.. and installed it. Soon as I did the car ran like how it's been.. then the check engine light started blinking.. then when it stopped blinking it shut off completely. And the car started running way way better. The throttle is nice and snappy.. no sputters.. doesn't smell like gas fumes.. like the computer reprogramed everything.. but my issue is the check engine light is still on really really dimm. U can't see it unless u look real close. And I tried to jump the ports with the paper clip and nothing.. can't get it to blinking nothing at all. The only time I see the light on bright is right before I start the car. It blikes once real quick soon as I turn the ignition on..

Are you jumping the right ports? Is your jumper pushed in all the way? Is there debris in the port?

The light, if I'm not mistaken, is supposed to come on for a second when cycling the ignition/starting. You're saying the SES light stays on, but dims after initially starting the car? You'll see the SES script if you look hard enough or the right light is shining just right, creating an illusion.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Can you put a scan tool on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor