edelbrock 2115 cadillac intake bolt hole size

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
the bolt holes for the intake for my 472 seem rather large, like .660" big. the intake bolt shank is not even close to that, .337. the head on the bolt barely covers the hole, just under .750 at the bottom of the bolt head/mating surface with the intake.

is that normal for an edelbrock intake? i think i might need to have the holes fixed, they just seem too big.

G_Body_Enthusiast said:
the head on the bolt barely covers the hole, just under

I looked at this and said, nah dont worry about it, but your comment above doesnt sound right.

Ill measure the hole on my intake when I get home, and let you know what I find.

Keep in mind that the early production of the Edelbrock intakes were very “off” for what they needed to be. Virtually all of them needed to be machined to fit on the block, because the angle of the intake surface was out. That has since been corrected, and the newer ones are much closer to a nice fit.

The other thing is, that the Cadillac machining tolerances were very tight, and that followed through on all engine parts. So anytime you mess with these, by say, machining an engine, you’re compromising those tolerances, and it’s very easy to go outside of the tolerances. The intake on these engines are known to not fit the greatest. The aftermarket has tried to compensate by offering composite gaskets that are much thicker, and still a lot of people say screw it, and seal theirs with just silicone around the intake ports. There’s no water in the intake so one less thing to worry about.

All that to say, because these intakes didn’t fit nice, maybe someone had the intake flanges machined to fit their block, and then opened up the bolt holes to make the bolts work? Or Maybe Edelbrock just cast a gigantic tolerance into them to ensure that one size DOES fit all.

In either case, I wouldn’t waste your time trying to repair them, it won’t affect/benefit anything, just make you lose time and money. If it really bothers you, and you want to shrink the hole size, I would use some sort of press in insert (brass or plastic). DO NOT WELD IT! I work with some pretty outstanding welders, and someone may take on your project because they need work, but you have a low chance of success. You don’t know what you will encounter when you begin to weld cast parts, and there’s a chance you will scrap it before you fix it.

I’ll let you know what mine measures at. Stay tuned.

Heres a cylinder head, with the MTS fiber gasket, secured with a long bolt to the head.

I know the gasket and intake holes line up just about perfectly, and are the same size.

Notice how much bigger the hole is compared to the bolt. So might be exactly what youre seeing, and it might just be how theyre made. It causes zero issues, aside from the regular sealing issues that everyone experiences anyways.

Pix610.jpg

no, these holes are about twice the size of the bolt shank, not a little but significantly bigger. i've been into cars for as long as i can remember and i dont recall seeing holes for a bolt this big in comparison to the bolt shank size. the bolt hole is .660" the bolt shank is .371 at the threads and .380ish where the shank meets the head of the bolt. that's over 1/4" in difference, that seems unusually large and unnecessary for a bolt shank measuring at 3/8"ish

maybe i'll sell it off and buy a new one.

G_Body_Enthusiast said:
no, these holes are about twice the size of the bolt shank, not a little but significantly bigger.

Ok... So what does that change or affect adversely? Port matching issue? If you put in an entire bank of bolts I bet that intake wont move fore/aft more than 1/16 of an inch. The factory ports were a hell of alot more mismatched than that.

Checked mine tonight, they are all 0.492 to 0.500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor