El Camino Floor Pan Replacement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolthisisnuts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Hey All
I am doing a small floor pan replacement this week and I am curious what kind of paint I should use on the replacement sheetmetal. The replacement sheet metal is EDP coated. Should I just scuff it up and shoot it? If so what kind of rattle can paint would everyone recommend?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Yes, good idea to scuff if the surface. Also, once you weld the replacement repair panel in place, the best paint over EDP would be 2K epoxy primer. The more protection you have in this area is better. If it were my project, I like shooting 2K primer on new metal. I emphasize 2K because most rattle can paint has no hardener. Over the underside primed surface, I would apply undercoat since it will be exposed to the road surface. For the inside, I would apply whatever you plan to do with the overall inside metal surface. Do not leave exposed metal or new welds without some kind of durable topping.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tschafer94

n00b
Apr 18, 2020
South Florida
When my dad and I replaced mine, we used tintable bedliner on the underside and inside. Keeps the heat down and is a great sound deadener as well.
20190602_143925_67.jpg
Resized952019061095105008_24.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor